1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pyramid Gold or Thomastik Infeld Nickel Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dorfmeister, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    I am planning to put one of these two types of strings on my Warwick Corvette Standard with passive pickups to get more of an old school tone, lose some and finger noise, and focus on recording.

I am wondering what the dominant characteristics of each of these sets are and what gauge you might recommend. How are these for relative looseness or tightness in comparison to average round wounds and to each other?

I am going to have this professionally set up by a guitar tech.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    I ordered the pyramids. Getting the set-up done on Saturday.

3. I've only tried short-scale Pyramid and long-scale TI, so I don't know if I can make a fair comparison. I definitely loved the Pyramid Gold flats on my Epiphone Rivoli bass. They sort of felt and sounded luxurious and "art nouveau"... I don't know how to explain it, it's kind of a synesthetic thing for me. Very satisfying. The TI flats on my Dillion were nice and very comfortable and even sounding but didn't have the same sort of rich, "whole-meal" character.

4. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    You made the right choice..my favorite flat:)

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    do these two sets of strings " feel " similar ?

6. i love pyramid strings... and love the fact that you can custom order any set you dream of...

7. I haven't used Pyramids in many years, but I remember them losing their tone fairly quickly. I now use TI's and love them, especially since they do seem to hold their tone indefinitely. I also dig their customer service; if you get a bad string in a set or break one, they will usually send you a new one at no charge. Nice, when you're paying a premium price for a product that isn't widely available.

8. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    I tried a set of Golds for my P-Bass, but they were unusable because the fabric winding went over the nut. I'm pretty sure the ones I bought were supposed to be long-scale.

9. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    I put Ti flats on the bass that i won't ever sell or trade or get rid of for the rest of my life... my jazz... and I doubt i'll ever change these strings (unless someone comes and chops them in half).

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I've wanted to try the gold flats for some time. Do you know if they sell a 5 string set. I looked at Just Strings but they didn't list any 5 string sets.

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Just buy the 4 string set, then a single B string (listed in the single string section).

12. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    How do you do that? I've only seen one "standard" set of flatwound short-scale bass strings -- 40-55-70-100.

13. thats cuz you all buy from the dealers or the site that sells flats in US... i deal with pyramid directly... and they deliver what ever i want

this is the official page
    http://www.pyramid-saiten.de/

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They don't publish tension info. How do you know what a dream set would be?

15. write them an email and they provide all info you need... to find my winning combination i had to go trough a lot of strings... but when i came to pyramid i had my mind made up... and i got it right the second time ;)

16. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Will the flats fit an American Standard Jazz Bass that strings through the body? I emailed them a few days ago, and haven't received a reply.

17. you can even specify the winding lenght...

they had a hollyday on monday in germany... so you should recieve the mail soon