1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pyramid Gold SS Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sixty Grit, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Sixty Grit

Sixty Grit Guest

Jun 4, 2015
    Any body have any experience with pyramid short scale flats. Are they worth the extra money?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Only you can decide if they're worth the extra money.

3. Sixty Grit

Sixty Grit Guest

Jun 4, 2015
    I understand your point, I am just a cheap SOB!

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    what bass are you putting them on and what sound are you going for?

5. Sixty Grit

Sixty Grit Guest

Jun 4, 2015
    Sorry, forgot to post that. Hofner Ignition. Beatles sound. Have used D'addario chromes on other guitars and liked them but EVERYONE says gotta put LaBellas or Pyramids on to get the sound.

6. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah if you're going for paul get the pyramids, its what came stock on Hofners. you might be able to find a used set in the classifieds, they come up time to time.

Sixty Grit likes this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You can use whatever flats you want for that sound.

8. Sixty Grit

Sixty Grit Guest

Jun 4, 2015

Thanks

9. I use the Pyramid flats on my J-Bass and will never take them off. To me, they are a key ingredient in getting that traditional Hofner sound.

10. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    Hofner violin bass sound = Pyramid Gold flats.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  11. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    they are worth it, in particular due to some facts:

the outer wrapping is made of nickel, not steel, which changes the sound a lot.
    the gauge is very balanced, 40-55-70-100, and works great with short scale basses.
    they are some of the most "intonate" strings out there, and with basses like the Hofner, with that bridge, it's useful.

they saved a Danelectro Longhorn I had years ago, which wouldn't be intonate (the E string with the Chromes was an F at the 12th fret, even with the bridge all back.

you have to consider that the sound is different from the Chromes: the E and A string are very thumpy, with zero sustain, and the D and G are very bright when new. after a while they all become "thumpy" in the same way.

mellow and thumpy.

wisconsindead likes this.
  12. They are what I play. Love them.

13. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I wonder about that because they call them "chrome nickel." I wonder if they're a nickel alloy and not pure nickel. Does anyone know definitively?

14. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    They are pure nickel. It's just translation error they are German. There are grammar and syntax and other translation errors in the packaging as well.