Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid Gold

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by David Wiener, Feb 27, 2006.

1. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Does anyone know where I can get single Pyramid Gold G strings? I was given two sets of Pyramid Gold strings (D/A/E) but unfortunately the G strings where missing. I have already tried Ideal Music since they carry Pyramid but they don't have single strings. I wrote to Pyramid but didn't get a response. Their web site for dealers isn't much help because it mainly covers bass guitar string dealers.

Also does anyone have any experience with these strings? Do you like them and could you tell me what they sound like (similar to any other brands)?

Thanks, Dave

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Are these upright bass strings?

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a bunch of Pyramid Ultra Flex strings, and I don't like them at all. They are very flexible with a fairly weak tone. I wasn't at all impressed.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  5. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Francois- I am talking about DB strings and I'm already familiar with their website. I have already e-mailed them at the address on the website and didn't get a response. These are their lowest priced strings but the price difference is not that great. I was hoping someone knew a store that carried them (single strings) and someone had actual experience using them. Thanks, Dave

6. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Adrian- The ones I have are not Ultra Flex. Do you know anyone who sells these strings individually and anyone who uses the standard Pyramid Gold strings? Thanks, Dave

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Francois! I've used strings that you haven't! I never expected for that to happen.

I used to play Pyramids in the mid-90's. At a certain point the old man retired and they were shut down for a while while he trained the new guy how to make them. The G strings sucked after that, and the other three weren't quite as nice before either. I tried a few different sets over a number of months but they never seemed to get any better, so I gave up on them.

8. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Ray- The strings that I have are from the late 70's or early 80's. They belonged to my bass teacher and his widow gave them to me about twenty years ago and they have been sitting in my house in their original jackets in a sealed container all this time.

If I understand you, the old D,A and E are good and I shouldn't bother with the G because the current strings not good.

Would you have any interest in purchasing both sets of D,A and E strings?

Thanks, Dave

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No interest here. I'm on Flex 92's right now and really liking them. The only others that I'd mess with at present are Dominants or wrapped guts (if I'm feeling racy).

My preference is not to use replace-ables likes strings if they aren't readily available. For instance, I'd probably have Red-O-Rays on my bass if they still made them.

Thanks, though :)