1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pyramid GOLDS!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    so, like the rest of you, I've been on my search for the perfect tone for quite some time. After the unfortunate unravelling of my 10 year old Fender flats on my '69 P-bass, I panicked at the thought that I would not be able to recreate that lovely old school thump that envelopes me night after night. So after trying out Sadowsky's flats I was impressed, however, I couldn't resist my G.A.S. for these outrageously priced Pyramid Golds, and I went for it.

Let me say, WOW! Not only are these strings smoother than any flatwound string I have ever felt, but the highs are absolutely spectacular and the E string is like no other I have ever felt. It's super thick, but the tension is perfect and the tone is clearer than any flatwound E I have ever played, heard, of felt (which is pretty much every flat out there other than DR). I really suggest that everyone try a set of these amazing strings. Any other experiences?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    heh, with Pyramid Gold, there can be no other experience :D

these strings are amazing, I use them on my P-bass now, but I've briefly installed an old set on my jazz and it was also great! many people said it was the best bass tone they have ever heard (I played through an Ashdown ABM head, DI out into a mixer, but I don't know what the sound guy did... he added some compression definitely, but not much else I guess...)

anyway, for my Jazz I use Pyramid nickel rounds now only... I liked DRs also, back when I used a Musicman... but it is much easier to order Pyramids online with my friends, to avoid "out of stock" situations, which are not rare in Slovenia...

3. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    There the pyramids really dark in tone like labellas or brighter like a rotosound? I have been intriqued by them, but need somthing that can really cut. Looking for that Joe jackson/paul simonon vibe. would these do it for me? I want flats that really sing and are alive.

4. Different experience here... I tried two sets on my Jazz, and found the E string to be sounding dull and lifeless compared to the A, D, and G strings. Is that a bug or a feature?

However, I later found that Sadowsky Flats are just right for me.

5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    That big, fat, dead 0.105 E string is designed to be that way. It's great for doing Beatles covers. They also offer a set with a 0.100 E string that's more like the A, D, and G strings.

6. String gauges has nothing to do with how dead a string is or sounds...

7. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agreed. But the Pyramid Gold Flatwound 0.105 is designed to sound very thumpy.

8. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    ++1 I found the E string really out of place with the rest of the set .It' s gauge is not in balance relative to the other strings in this set, and I agree with that 100 E might be a better match .Otherwise the strings were great - unique and in sound and feel.

9. i have a set on my LP right now... sound great and i love the feel, although the "dead" sounding E string did bug be a bit first.

10. Yep, I learned that the different sounding E is a feature, not a bug... But it's a feature that I don't like, anyways.

YMMV, of course!!!

11. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I tried Pyramid Golds a few years ago and could not cope with the nanosecond of decay, they seemed to be devoid of any sustain which might be okay for certain songs/styles/situations but I would not consider them a great choice as an all around Flatwound. Also, I consider the price to be way too high. Just my 2 cents.

George