1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pyramid ...great strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EAME, May 25, 2012.

1. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    has any one tried out their black nylon tapewounds yet,55,77,100,115 i think.is this the only guage ...any one used em on acoustic/fretless?

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I had no idea Pyramid made tapewounds.

Got any links?

3. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Have never used their tapewounds, but their flatwound bass strings and nickel guitar strings are of very high quality.

Root 5 likes this.
  4. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Thanks for that link EAME, but Pyramids are pricey enough without having to add in shipping across the Pond. If I can find someone in N.A. stocking them I may give them a try.

If you do give them a go, come back and let us know about it.

5. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  7. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    hadn't thought about your location,
    But there's som good links there today.
    If I find something out the ordinary,I will
    Put them here,ok !Eame....and let you know if I checkem!

8. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    That's the first place I check for strings these days, but I only see flatwounds in the Pyramid section of his website. No tapewounds. (At least not yet... I do remember seeing "New" on a site or two regarding the tapewounds.)

9. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's why I said to check with Jason...he has a ton of stuff that's not on the website :)

11. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
  12. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  13. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
  14. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Let me take up this thread...

I am currently playing these - the shortscale version. On a fretted solid body.

The nylon looks like not being some tape wound on the core but something like a filament. The ball ends are unusually small, You must tage a bit care to mount them correctly in a bridge with wide mounting slots like the hipshot supertone.

Feeling for the fingers: *very* nice.

Attack, responsiveness: very good. Sustain: fairly short. Probably intentionally - the goal is to mimic the sound of a double bass, and the sustain is probably a consequence of the filament as an outer layer.

String tension: fairly high - at least high enough to make tunings below the standard tuning well possible (on 30"). They will not sound sloppy at all.

So, their sound is good, but a bit "special" - not for every style and not for every instrument. Quite interestingly i like them a lot better in the band mix than solo.

I can well imagine their sound on an acoustic - should be great. Maybe they fit really well on EB3-type basses with their fairly slow attack; I'll probably give it a try.

Fretless: depends on what You want. If You're on "double bass" alike sound - should be great. If You enjoy the endlessly long growling possible with fretless basses - a clear no.

Beate

Root 5 likes this.
  15. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Please let me update:

kittyboy likes this.
  16. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I found some NOS Pyramid Tapewounds (.055 to .115) in the want ads at a price that sounds great, but the description indicates that they're > 20 years old. So...

Are 20 year old "still sealed" nylon tapes still ok? Or would I be buying a pig in a poke?

17. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Bueller?... Bueller?... Anyone?

Would a new/sealed set of nylon tapes still be ok to use after sitting on a shelf for 30 years?

EDIT: seller says they're "Made in W Germany", which indicates at least 29 years!, and that the individual packages are not airtight. I'm worried they'd "distintigrate" as soon as I tried to string them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  18. My bet is they'd likely be ok. Tapes can easily last that long even when used, strung up on an instrument.

trothwell and Volker Kirstein like this.
  19. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    On my guitar i once installed a set of Maxima pure Gold strings. I guess they were really old as well - the strings are still available under the name optima. No Problems. I also have a few old sets of rounds - original strings of my basses. Everything looks fine, no visible corrosion - and that is the only factor that can affect the performance of an unmounted string which is still in some protection sleeve.