Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid Nickel Roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RHFusillo, Oct 16, 2005.

1. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm looking for some alternatives in nickel roundwound strings, and I'm wondering about Pyramid roundwounds. Do any TB'ers have experience with these?

I've done a search and found two old inquiries about this with no responses. I have used Pyramid guitar strings and flatwound bass strings, and both were delightful.

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I've never tried them and probably won't due to the cost. That might be why there are so few responses in general. But if you've used other lines of the Pyramid brand and like 'em, I'd say go for it.

I mean, they ARE pure nickel, so that's got to account for something.

Best regards

3. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    So apparently, nobody anywhere in the world has actually tried Pyramid Nickel Rounds. I have just ordered some. I will be the first. I will be the Lief Erikson, the Henry Magellan, the Neil Armstrong of Pyramid Nickel Roundwound strings.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Let us know how this pioneering adventure goes...see you on the other side :bassist:

5. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    One small step for RHF, one giant leap for TBers everywhere! Don't forget us.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    With the price of Pyramid strings, it's no small step :p

7. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm surprised that nobody caught my "Henry Magellan" blunder. Sorry, Ferdinand. Anyway, those Pyramids will eventually circumnavigate my tuning pegs.

Having bought Pyramid Flats in the past, the roundwounds seem cheap.

8. Hey Bob,

What are you looking to achieve with the rounds?

I figured that you would stay with Pyramid Flats forever...

:D

9. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is an excellent question for which I do not fully have an answer.

The short answer is that I have a J-type bass on which I just installed Antiquity II pickups. These are nice pickups with terrific bottom end, but I hear them as a bit lacking in mids, at least with the Infeld Superalloy strings I am presently using. In retrospect, I should have gone with Antiquity I pickups. So, I am trying to get some of the mids back but keep a warm sound. I also plan on trying Fender 7150M strings, as recommended in another thread.

But, more than this, I am also looking for some sound I have not heard before, some sonic kick, like when I first heard Pyramid Flats, TI Jazz Flats or TI Jazz Rounds. I'll pay extra for that. By the way, I only used Pyramid Flats on one bass, and really liked them, but haven't needed that sound since, so have not bought them again. I presently use TI Jazz Flats on most of my basses.

10. I've had the same ol' set of TI Flats on my P for the last 5 years or so... work well, and sound hot in the mids to my ears.

I have an unused set of TI PowerBass Magnecore waiting to go onto my L1500... one of these years, when I tire of the clanky SIT factory strings.

11. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got a set of Pyramid nickel rounds yesterday, and have first impressions to report.

I originally ordered them from JustStings.com, but they would not ship to my "ship-to" address, so I cancelled the order. I ended up buying them from the Tone Quest report -- you may have seen their newsletter, which is mostly about guitar gear. They sell Pyramid strings on their website, and their price of $41.60 + s/h is the lowest I have seen.

Tone Quest estore

Here are my first impressions. As I wrote above, I replaced a set of Infeld Superalloy strings on a J-type bass with Duncan Antiquity II pickups. So this is a direct comparison between the Pyramids and Superalloys. I bought the .045 - .105 set of Pyramids, so gauge was comparable.

• Stiffer than I had expected (Pyramid flats are extremely flexible when not under tension)
    • Tension comparable to Infeld Superalloy
    • Lower output than Superalloy strings
    • Less "scooped" than Superalloys: Less high-end, slightly less bottom, more mids

So, I pretty much got what I wanted so far. The Pyramid rounds are more conventional than Pyramid flats, TI Jazz Flats, or TI Jazz Rounds, so I didn't get the "wow" factor that I did when I first tried those strings. We will see how they do after they break in a bit.