Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid strings (somebody?)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I would like it if someone would try to characterize the sound of Pyramid flatwounds for me. I know that sound/timbre/tone is a hard thing to put down in words, but I already have a pretty good basis for comparison, having tried Fender 9050 Flatwounds, GHS Precision flats, Rotosound 66's, Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and others.

Any help would be appreciated, especially before I plunk down 50 bucks or so for a set.

2. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  3. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    I've been using GHS Precision Flatwounds for a few years now and I really like them. However, I just ordered a few sets of Pyramid Golds because I've heard so many good things about them. I should get them in the mail next week. I'll let you know how they sound.

4. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Cool! I'll be waiting with baited breath, or something. :D Also, I notice you said you ordered "a few sets." That's like a couple hundred bucks worth, right?

I tried the Precision Flatwounds on my Precision, and they weren't bad, but I think it sounds better with Fender 9050's.

5. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    Well, they weren't cheap, but I got a good price ($51.00/set) so I ordered two sets to save shipping charges, assuming I'd like them. I figure I can get rid of the second set for what I paid if I don't like them.

6. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Here it is. Pyramid Gold flats are physically a little less smooth than the chrome flats.

The sound is really somewhere in between the traditional flat and round sounds.

My Rickenbacker 4003 came with some nasty sounding round wounds. I restrung it with the Pyramid Golds and "WOW", what an improvement.

I like 'um.

7. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    Have you tried any other flats on the Rick? I'd like to compare flat to flat?

8. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Pyramids
    I beleive are the best sounding and the longest lasting flats you can buy.Expensive "maybe" but when you feel how smooth and how they sound and last for about a year and thats with playing 20hrs a week you will see that they are a deal.
    I use them on my 62 ri usa jazz and on my 4001 ric and have a set I'll be putting on my usa dlx jazz.
    "I" think there the best sounding flats out there period.
    I've tried alot of brands and there not the same.Most strings last me 6 weeks.
    Paul McCartney still use's them on his Hofner and on his Ric.
    I play alot of 60s - 70s and get the sound I am looking for.
    "Remember sound is in the ear of the beholder"
    Good Luck

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I'm in agreement with Jman about everything. I've tried chrome flats on the Rick and it was ok but not near as good as the Pyramid Golds. The Chromes were definately rounder sounding but more limited in the variety of sounds you could get out of them.

By the way, I also play mostly 60's & 70's music. Maybe what we are saying is that the Pyramids are best for what we play.

I use to get them from a guy in Hawaii for $45 a set but the guy went out of business.

10. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    I received my Pyramid Golds in the mail last night. I put them on my mid-60s National violin bass. I had a set of Fender flats on it before. I couldn't believe the difference, so I immediately put the other set on my mid-60s Vox violin bass, on which I'd been using GHS Precision Flatwounds. Still a big difference. I agree that they're a little less smooth than the GHS or Fenders and the sound is somewhere between flats and rounds. What I noticed about the Pyramids was that the highs have an incredible ring, and the lows are very clear. For what it's worth, I play mainly 60s and 70s music too, and I imagine these strings will fit nicely with the sound of my band.

11. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Cool. I guess I'll have to try 'em. Are they thumpy like the Fenders?

12. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    Yes, but better tone.