Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by firstbassman, Sep 13, 2004.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I've got a Jay Turser version of the Beatle bass - well worth the price, btw - but it's hard to find decent short-scale strings that you need for it. Pyramids are recommended for the Hofner, but they don't come cheap. Anybody have any experience with Pyramids, or any other suggestions for short-scale strings?

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Hey! I've got a Turser too. I got Rotosound RS77s (shortscale) and they were just a tiny bit too short. They're for a 30" scale bass (like the original Hofner) and the Turser's like 31-32. They worked okay but I had to cut back the silk a little bit at the nut.

The Rotosound RS77m is the set I have on backorder now (guess there's a lot of Tursers out there?) because the company rep said that would be the set to use on a 31-32" bass.

The Pyramids - which I wanted to try -- are for the 30" scale length. You might want to carefully measure your Turser to make sure, and then email Pyramid to see if the will fit. Nothing like ordering really expensive strings and they don't make it all the way past the nut, you know?

I've been looking at other brands too, but not too many have the medium scale length strings, and not all have those in a flatwound. That's why for now at least, I'm sticking to the Rotosounds.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

3. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I used a friends Rogue Hofner bass strung with "La Bella Beatle Bass"(flats). 32 inch Mediums -Nice Strings

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I also have a Turser and I put a set Pyramids on. They sound great - well worth the $$$ IMO. They were designed specifically for Hofners so no worries about getting them to fit.

I noticed when I first put them on that the D and G were dramatically louder than the E and A strings...I got a little nervous about that because I have never heard such a big difference in volume between strings. I thought I got a bad set so I wrote to Pyramid and got this answer:

"That is normal when first installed--they take 7 -10 days to settle and break -in to get used to being vibrating string on an instrument---they will change every day a little in string to string volume and in amount of muting---at a week to 10 days they will stop and just stay that way for an unreasonably long time--they are like upright bass strings --not like electric guitar strings in this respect--each string has it's own voice/sound---the G least mute, D a little more, A even more and E the most---this is by design---our set is the only set that will allow a short scale bass to sound like a Bass up and down the entire fingerboard--with other string the Hofner or any short scale gbass will sound thin and tinny above the 5th fret---these strings are the original OEM string we make for
    Hofner since 1956 --they make the little Hofner bass sound like a full scale and then some!!

Let me know how they sound in a week!!

Be well and best regards,
    Paul"

Well I can honestly say he was right - that little POS (tongue in cheek here - I like it a lot) Turser sounds huge and balanced and always impresses my bandmates with "that sound". I think the Turser's are a great value - I can enjoy it without the guilt of having $2K sitting in the closet - and so are these strings. They really help it "cop the tone". I recommend them.

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Hey, what a detailed, informative and great review bassclef. Thanks for taking the time. Maybe the Pyramids will be the ones next time around.

Best regards :)

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Hey Demo! No sweat. The Turser is a novelty bass for me - I always wanted a Hofner but I wasn't going to kick out that kind of money for something I would only play from time to time. So I figured I could at least upgrade to Pyramids and it was a new experience for me. I'm glad I did it and I'm happy to share.

Rock on! :bassist:

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a set of Pyramids on a Franken-P (long scale of course), and they're very cool. I was unaware of the break-in period, and was a bit disappointed at first, but now, after a few months, they sound lovely.