Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    Anyone ever tried or know something about the Pyramid (german-made) upright strings?
    They're made in four models, but the top two are "Ultraflex" and "Soloflex" brands.

I'd like to hear comments about them.

Thanks in advance.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I used Ultraflex for a while (two or three sets in a row) before the 'old man' retired. I haven't liked them since. The bottom three seem dead-ish and the G string is untolerably nasal, both pizz and with The Stick, and stiff feeling.

The pluses are that the winding has a neat surface that gives you a bit more feedback through the left fingers than the glassy winding that, say, Spirocores have, without being grabby. The pitch on strings is very good, but different than whatever strings you are using. It'll take a few days to figure out where all the notes moved to. They seem to last a good, long time.

Maybe the new guy has gotten it more together now. It's been two or three years since I've had a set on.