Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyramid Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PRSBassGuy, Dec 18, 2002.

1. After doing a search there dosn't appear to be alot of discussion about Pyramid Bass strings. I've used their electric nickel wound guitar strings for years and loved them. They have great warm tone, low tension and last 2 to 3 times longer than most others I've tried. They get pretty consistantly high praise on guitar forums like the PRS Forum and Fender Forum.

As I recently have taken up the bass I'm wondering do most people not like their tone(pure nickel wrap), feel, or is the high price an issue?

If you have tried them and don't use them why?

As many of you have no doubt already done I'm in the process of trying many of the different brands that offer a pure nickel wound string. At least I've narrowed it down that far.

Thanks for your input.

2. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm interested too. Anybody out there tried these? How about the fender pure nickels?

3. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I tried the flats about 7 years ago .They were quite good . A little darker and more tension than the Thomastiks(if i recall correctly) but similar quailty.BUT...... the E string seemed very muted(almost dead) compared to the other strings .I was kindly given another replacement from the distributor ,but found the same problem again.Seemed inherent in the design.(I recall the E string gauge was disproportionitly(spelling?) heavier than the other strings.
    I talked to someone a year later who felt the same way about the E string.The round wound strings could be a different story.

4. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    That's odd. For most kinds of strings that I try I usually find the E string to be louder than the others. Coincidently, the exception to that is the custom set (.110, ..09, .07, .05) that I put together recently out of juststrings.com singles for DGCF tuning. The E is so thick that I have to play it really hard to get a good sound. I guestimated on the gauges by adding a percentage to usual EADG gauge sets and rounding off.

It sounds like when the E (or D in my case) string gets too big it is difficult to generate a good tone. Perhaps it is not fully seated in the nut?

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yikes, I think price would be an issue. I would love to try them, but at close to $100 CDN (with shipping and taxes), I just cannot justify the cost if I end up not liking them.

For the set I saw the E was .105, which is a standard size. Usually the E is too strong, at that size, not the other way around.

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Yeah, I found it explained a lot - I kept that answer from them for reference. I don't know how their strings respond on other basses (like solid bodies) but they're made for hollow violin styles for sure. Acoustically lousy, but plugged in (and settled down) they balance very evenly volume wise - and I've got POS pickups (actually sound pretty good :) )!

I'm convinced they're as much a part of the Hofner tone as the instrument itself, maybe more so since I'm real close to it with the Turser.