Pyramids vs. other flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Moondog, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Has anyone tried Pyramids and compared them to other flats? Is the very high cost justified by radically better tone? How is the tension? I currently use GHS Precision flats. I'm willing to try Pyramids, if they are way better.
  2. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I use them and love the rich sound. Worth every penny.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, nanook, have you tried the Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats? I am looking to put some flats on my old Curbow fretless, and I have it narrowed down to these two, and have only tried the TI jazz flats. Any comparison (subjective as it might be) on tension, top end, etc would be helpful.
  4. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    I use Pyramids on almost all of my basses.They to me have much better tone than anyother flat i've used and I have used alot.
    They can give you a nice warm tone to a growl.And they will outlast any other flat string out there,well worth the money.
    Remember sound is in the ear of the beholder.
  5. Thomastiks are very lively flats with lots of highs and sustain (sound a lot like their Spirocore double bass strings), rather "loose" (low tension), so I have to put a little more relief in the neck to allow the string to develop its fullest sound, also the A string is noticeably floppier than the the G and D.

Pyramids are more dead, have a more "classic" flatwound sound, feel tighter, and have more consistent tension from string to string.

Worth trying both if you are going for flatwounds. I like and play both.