Pyscho Bass-Guy Appreciation Thread...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryJ, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    This young man (or old man, or middle-age man, whatever)...
    Obviously KNOWS his stuff! Really!
    And in my experience, if you were to pick an amp tech's brain he or she would charge up the wazzoonie, and rightfully so, for the kind of info and advice he dispels freely.
    So- after reading many a thread, as well as having some of my own tube-related ?'s addressed by PBG-
    (I LOVE my tubes- V4BH, Mesa Buster-count 'em-
    (10 6L6GC's total!!)

You re an asset to TalkBass!:)
  2. Here Here.
    Thanks PBG
    Bob Lee too.
    Many more for that matter.
  3. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Your right. Give credit were credit is due. Thanks PBG.
  4. Psycho Bass Guy is the only reason I still subscribe to this whole internet thing.
  5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    GIVE IT UP!!!

C'mon, give it up for the Psycho-Man!

6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    What kind of person would I be not to post in this thread? PBG is the man. I would be clueless about my amp were it not for him.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I feel like a real jerk here, but:

That's pretty basic stuff, which he seems to have a difficult time understanding, and trying to talk to him about it is like sticking nails up my nose.

I wouldn't ask him to fix anything for me.

I can only wonder what sort of "help" he's been giving everybody.
  8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Kinda hard to comment on that...
    Truthfully, I did not follow through reading the entire thread-I get the concept, and I would not attemp to enter a "dispute" involving electrical engineering-Other than the basic basics, I am somewhat "artistically" inclined I guess.
    My rationale was that I have had generic-type questions on tube/amp behavior and such, as well as specs on certain types of gear, etc.
    In my experience, PBG has appeared like Batman at the sight of the Bat-signal to give what I thought to be very educated info & opinions on the matters in ?
    Anyway, to each our "zone"
    Besides- Disputes here on TB??? NOOOOO!
    It can't BE!:eek:
  9. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I disagree with my friends on lots of topics. It makes discussions interesting and educational. I don't know who is right or wrong...I do respect people if they have enough conviction to put forth ideas and defend them.
  10. I totally respect PBG's tube amp knowledge. He really does know what he's talking about. I happen to disagree with him on a particular thing, but that doesn't mean I don't respect him. He's a little catankerous but I don't hold that against him.:D
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I see people have problems with PBG. Not me!:D He's helped me out a ton, and I think he's a great guy for all that free help!

Chalk one more up to the "PBG appreciation column..."

12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'd hate to sound cantankerous, but i believe that the emboldened word is spelled "c-a-n-t-a-n-k-e-r-o-u-s"

[edit: emboldened wrong "n." damn my illiteracy!]
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    PBG and I had a little spot of turbulence once, but just a few days later we were laughing it up and agreeing (8417 grilled chicken, anyone?). There are as many opinions on tubes as there are on barbecue, and we tube nuts are just as staunch in our beliefs as we can be. PBG is passionate about his tube amp experience and ideals, and I can respect that. So give him a little latitude if he seems to get out of sorts now and then.

Propers to the Psycho Guy!:D :cool:
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Just so we're clear, this isn't about an "opinion on tubes". It's about basic electrical engineering theory. I wouldn't have bothered to post here if it were a matter of opinion. I'm also not trying to completely discredit the guy - just weighing in with my experience.
  16. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I think PBG and Joris may both be right. I read the thread you linked in your earlier post and reported some of my own experience there.:)

FWIW: I am a trained electronics tech myself.:cool:
  17. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    This is an insult disguised as an apology, wrapped in justification. Thanks.

What I've seen is:

- a thread is started on what good electronics advice PBG gives;

- I post my (negative) opinion on the matter

- Then, you :

1. assume you know something about me based on a sticker you see in a picture of a bass that I own;

2. make an incredibly rude and offensive comment based on this, directed towards a hypothetical grouping of people you have concocted and placed me into;

3. Explain yourself by indicating that I'm as "guilty" as you are, without saying of what. If it's of making a blanket generalization of the sort that could get me in serious hot water with Talkbass, please let me know what it was so I can retract it. But I don't remember doing anything like that.

I don't have a clue as to how you had to "search my gear slideshow" trying to find out why I would post my experience with PBG here. I don't see how it could be any more plain how on-topic it was. Think again, perhaps, about what it was you were looking for. (you apparently found it).

So I suppose this is all forgiveable. However, ever call me a jerk again based on what you think might be my religious, philosophical, whatever, leanings, and I can assure you I will get seriously pissed.
  18. I appreciate this thread guys. You really don't know HOW much, but it's misplaced. What Geshel and Joris are doing is nothing new and they're not the first, nor will they be the last ones to do it.

Evidently there is some personal animosity for me from them. That's not a stretch to say considering the lengths both have gone to the "discredit" what I've said, especially by purposefully misconstruing and falsifying my comments. I really don't care about their feelings. I can verify what I've really said.

The only relevance their arguments have with me is that they've very obviously made them personal. I'm not that insecure. I have only answered their "arguments" to attempt to clarify my point. I'm not going to waste any more time doing that; they're only going to hear what they want to hear anyway.

I've been working a lot lately and I don't have the energy to play in their flame war. It's telling that the "thumping speakers" thread sat dormant for two days until Joris decided he needed to insult me. Keep the faith and I'll keep it honest, something my apparent "enemies" don't do.
  19. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Can you show me exactly when I got "personal"? How have I insulted you? Can you explain how I misconstrued or falsified your statements?

I've repeatedly tried to get you to explain your stance on the discussion, to help out us poor folk who don't have a clue what you're trying to say, but all you do is repeat yourself and insinuate that we are "after you". How does that make me insecure? (thanks again for the personal observation, since you know me so well).

Really, you have been the first to get personal all along by making these accusations and providing no supporting evidence. (so far I think the tally is: I'm mean, petty, insecure, and a liar. Wonderful! and we've only just met. Oh, and I forgot delusional, with the "self-appointed professors" remark.)
  20. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    YEAH!!!!!!!:D Come on.... this is a forum where we are all able to post our observations. This "seriously pissed" thing is incredibly childish. When I read the way you word things, Geshel, I can't help but imagine you all red-faced with clenched fists!:eek: This is the first time I have read anything so confrontational from Joris. I've found him to be usually quite informative and friendly about cab building.
    Why do you take things so personally? Does it rain that much in Seattle? Perhaps a little diplomacy would gain you the respect you crave so desperately.
    My two cents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.