Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pyschobilly.Rockabilly

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by societysfinest, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Are there any Pyschcobilly fans in this forum? or really any Rockabilly fans even?im just wondering because it has not come up in too many threads.maybe this is a stupid post but oh well.thanks all

2. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    I dig Rockabilly more than anything else. But it's a fine thing to know that psychobilly sucks... :p

3. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    BL, that was a little harsh. While I'm not a huge Psychobilly fan (a little too metal for my tastes), I wouldn't go so far as to say it "sucks". But hey, to each his own right?
    I love that rockabilly though! :)

4. not all of it is very "metal" like you said.CHeck out some Tiger Army..it has some really cool rockabilly style guitar riffs and a great bass sound.

5. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    I'm a big rockabilly fan. Did you check out the 50s rockabilly fest in Green Bay July 8 thru 13 - less than 200 miles from Chicago. If not you missed an unbelievable event. There were 110 bands - including a few psychobilly bands (one or two anyway), and the festival was free.

I usually chat about rockabilly stuff on rockabillybass.com. Check it out if you haven't. But there are some enthusiasts over here too, and no reason not to post if you have questions or interesting things to add. This site is the best forum I've seen for getting deeper into URB, ie. theory, technique, etc.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    anybody ever heard the tune "Roots Rock Weirdos"? It's a Robbie Fulks tune. I like rockabilly/psychobilly, but the >>scene<< can get very ugly, very quick. Like high school cliques, but with more tattoos.
    Robbie has another dandy about Nashville, "F*ck This Town". Great song!

7. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    yeah I've heard that song.

I guess I didn't mean that ALL psychobilly was "metal" I went to that Tiger Army site and their not hal bad. :)

8. i would like to saythanks to everyone for replying.and its good to know that there are some fans of rockabilly and psychobilly music around here.thanks

9. What about the Reverend himself. I am from DFW and when I was in high school (early 90's) I used to see him once a month or so. He is getting a little more Country based(which I think is tons better than the Lie Detector stuff) But he is still the King of Psychobilly. I was listening to Pantera and Metallica back then, and when I saw him I realized that you could be cool and like good music too. Starting off on his stuff is what got me into the Blues, Country and a little Jazz. I sure do miss the days of pointy boots, starch blue jeans, my greaser shirts and a slicked up Pomp(Semi Pomp for me)

Later

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I dig The Rev., Tiger Army, Twistin' Tarantulas, The Lazy Crazies, BR5-49 (sp?) etc etc. I've always been into high-energy tunes, and these styles have 'em!

Going to see the Rev. tomorrow - that is, if my damn ankle heals in time. :mad:

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you like them, check out The Hot Club of Cowtown. Their first two cds "Tall Tales" and "Swingin' Stampede" have Billy Horton on bass. Some of the baddest (and beautiful) slap bass I've heard from a modern player. Great time and GREAT tone.
    I heard he's been seen lately with The Bellfuries...

12. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I'm down with all the "billys". Nickel, you know where the name BR549 came from?

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Oooo oohhhh...I know!! <raises hand>

But then again, I'm an old fart....

Clue - the same place that you could see lots of country music pioneers in one place. Nobody realized now how much talent was in "that place" at the time.

14. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Grand 'ole opery?
    Sun Records?

I give up... :confused:

15. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    "Hee-Haw"

For you REAL young folks, this was a cornball 70's variety show with a country hick theme. Based on the success of "O Brother Where Art Thou", if "Hee Haw" were on the tube today, it'd be a smash hit.

16. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I remember Hee Haw but I still don't get the connection... :oops:

17. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Apparently, BR549 was the liscense plate of what I guess was a prop car or pickup on the show.

18. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, it was the phone number that "Junior Samples" always held up on a card at the end of the commercial spoofs for his used car lots and such....

"Just call BR-549"....

I'm actually ashamed that I know these things! This was one of the shows my family would always watch together on Saturday nights...right after <gulp> "Lawrence Welk". Nothing like growing up in the country in the '60s and '70s.

19. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Sorry for the misinformation. My local public radidio [wfuv-fordam U] plays a range of stuff from Robert Johnson to BR-549 to Tiny Tim [and everything inbetween] That was the info that I got from them. They're gonna get less pledge from me next drive!

20. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    Hey, don't feel too bad about your roots. I grew up in Southern California in the 70s and 80s, but grandma and grandpa couldn't get enough Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk. I think you're right about Hee Haw and the bluegrass resurgence. Lawrence Welk probably would have made a big comeback with the neo-swing scene too, but the network didn't capitalize on it.

Your recollection of Junior's car sales ad is much better than mine though. There were some great strummers and pickers on that show. Now that I think of it, I don't remember much upright bass.