Q. about studio recording!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by A Rock, Aug 20, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    me and my band are gonna do some heavy duty recording. I dont mean like 8 tracks or anything but have the set fully mic'd and have a bunch of guitar tracks and have a bunch a voice dubbing with harmony. Basically a fully produced demo.

Heres the deal....were gonna spend 600 bucks for a 12 hr block at a studio. How would me and my band do everything in the fastest possible time so we can maybe fit in 3 songs??

if there is neone who does this type of hardcore recording...tell me ur processes in doin so.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Show up on time or, better yet, early. If you can, see if you can get in early to get a head start on setup while the engineer is booting up the studio.
    Tune the drums ahead of time if you can.
    Bring extra everything--strings, cables, picks, etc.
    Rehearse your butts off.
    Take the night before the session off, and get a good night's sleep.
    Enjoy yourselves.
    Don't get hung up on watching the clock. It's better to have two songs done well than three done mediocrely.
    Enjoy yourselves.
    Trust the engineer for basic sound issues; don't micromanage, you don't have the time. If you can't trust the engneer for basic sound, you shouldn't be using that studio.
    Enjoy yourselves, music isn't supposed to be like root canal work.
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

I really understand you, when you´r paying that kind of money you want to get the most of it (in both time and quallity). Me and my band did somethin like that last year, and what we did was record drums and bass (rhythm base) at the same time, then the guitars (billions of guitar traks :D) and then vocals. I think recording drums and bass at once saves time, maybe you should try recording rhythm guitars with the bass and drums...

Good look....
  4. this should go in recordings... it's about recording :rolleyes:
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hm, not quite. It's about how to get the most out of the time and money you spend making a studio recording, which fits here just fine.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    :mad: Now we have members telling the moderators how to do their job? Sheesh -- too many Chiefs and not enough Indians... :mad:

My band recorded a four song demo a few months ago. Here's my advice, based on our experience:
    1) Take extra picks, cables, batteries, etc. (as was already stated).
    2) If you, or your bandmates, own more than one instrument, take more than one instrument (my guitarist owns three guitars but only took one -- his sh*ttiest one).
    3) Let the engineer do his thing, but don't be afraid to make suggestions about things, or ask about why he is doing something a certain way.
    4) Keep in mind that if the engineer is not a producer, he is probably is not going to make suggestions about the finished product (our guy was just there to record -- he made no suggestions what-so-ever about tones, effects, arrangements, harmonies, etc.).
    5) Decide on one or two of you to be the "final say" when it comes time to mix the tracks down. If your band is like mine, there were four guys in the control room arguing about the fact that they weren't loud enough, their part wasn't just right, etc. We ended up with two of the five songs we did being totally useless as a demo, because they ended up sucking -- no one wanted to be wrong and let someone else be right.
    6) Do the best you can in the time you have. Don't get nuts trying to get one song just perfect and then have to rush through the other two. It's important to be as discriminating as you can afford to be, without being overly anal about anything. On the other hand, you don't want to leave with something that isn't a good example of what you are capable of. ;)

EDIT: The time to get experimental is not when in the recording studio! If you or your bandmates have been playing something a certain way, or with a certain effect for the past nine months -- do it that way in the studio. A good example of this is our guitarist deciding that when he recorded his usually clean guitar part, he would do it with some distortion instead. He was asked the question, "Since when do you play that like that? His reply? "Since this morning." Not cool, man. Not cool at all. ;)
  7. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    thanks guys....well we visited the studio today.
    We told the guy that we wanted to record, mix, and master these songs.

he said that it would be difficult to do just one song. So now my band members want to spend 12hrs on one song.

I personally find this insane.
    i would like to do two songs.

what do u guys think we should do?...

we want a spectacular recording of our songs but i dont have that kind of money to spend 600 on one song....do u think 12 hrs would suffice if we follow ur ideas and record the bass and drums together?
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Can you tell us what kind of setup he's running?
    12 hours for one song sounds a bit much...
    Is he going to master your track in-house?
    Did they suggest how you should track; live or bass/drums then overdub? Sounds kind of fishy to me...if he can record you live, and you nail the track, you're good. If somebody flubs, they can go back and fix their track, that'd take less time than trying to go one or two instruments at a time. Plus you get the 'live vibe'.

As far as overall suggestions, I think 'Hategear's' post has some good recommendations.
    As a studio owner and engineer I would add:

Take your BEST instruments/gear. & don't take it personally if they tell you it's not up to snuff for studio work. Nothing will eat up more time than a guitar that won't stay in tune or is buzzing/humming/shorting/sucking in general...
    (Do you have to use your own gear, or do they provide any?)
    Also, it obviously pays to be as tight as possible;
    if it's your first foray into the studio, well, it's a whole different approach, and not always a pleasant one. Working smoothly as a unit will help.

One big time saver: Do they have a decent drum setup? Can you use theirs? Did you hear some samples of what the studio has produced?
    I just can't picture spending that much time on 1 tune.

Let us know what transpires...
    Hope you get your $'s worth!
  9. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    he masters it at the studio.
    he said that we all the instruments play scratch takes except for the drums. then we overdub one by one. He also said it takes him 2 hrs to set up the drum kit.

we want our music to get as detailed as Tool's songs...it might not be as complex but we want it as detailed.
  10. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I like their drum/bass intro track..
    Looks like a pretty good facility. I guess you're at their mercy.
    Still, it's got to be good to record at a facility where 'Skidrow' has done work.
    thanks for the link.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You can spend that long, but for your purposes, I see no reason why you have to. You just have to make the decision how much time you want to spend on any given thing. If that's how much time you have and no more, just mix faster.

It's your money, you decide what you want to do with it. If he persists in thinking you can't do one song in that time, I suggest you go to another studio.

One thing I'd suggest, though, don't try to do mastering too, that is, if by mastering you mean what I'm thinking, which is to prepare what actually goes to the CD duplication place. It's a separate process from mixing. Either find a few more dollars and do it another day, or find a duplication package where the house masters your music along with duplicating and packaging it. Lots of them do this. It won't be the same as having Bob Ludwig or Greg Calbi master your stuff, but that's no doubt out of your budget anyway.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I was a bit surprised that they offer in-house mastering there myself. Usually that's reserved for a studio that specializes in it. I didn't really see any sort of mastering suite described on their page, maybe they do it on computer?
    That was one thing that worried me, but I guess some places try to do both.

I would definitely want to feel good about the whole arrangement before I went in to record tracks. I think the comfort factor is not often address at studios. The musicians perform better when at ease, there shouldn't be such pressure to hurry up and nail it- I think that tends to backfire.
    But then, it is a business... I just think you have to find a balance to have a good working relationship.
    The band should be at ease, not stressed about time constraints. Maybe I'm too accomodating, but I like to offer a cap price on a project as a sort of 'package deal'.
  14. I've been down this road many times, and IMO, you would be better off spending the money on buying a digital multitracker and doing it yourselves, in your own time. Being on a time constraint like that is fine if you're all studio-savvy, but in my experience about 70% of demos done like this turn out next to useless. Plus' you'll end up with some good knowledge of recording. Just my opinion.