1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Q:Custom made jazz bass or MM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Madisr, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hey! Im the newone, don't be too harmful:)
    I've been playing about 5 years and now it's time to buy a new bass. Until this time I've been played with Fender V deluxe (mexico) and I just want to try something new. In my band I play funk+techno+rock.
    The sound must be variable and grunchy.
    Anyway I've picked up this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ADVANCED-JAZZ-B...Z4713QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
    What do you think, seems ok? Or I just go for sure and pick up a musicman sterling?

Greetings,
    Madis
    :bassist:

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That looks to me like a TBC (The Bass Company) JT400-JJ (http://www.thebasscompany.com/4stringguitars/jt400jj.html), not a "custom made jazz bass". They generally get good reviews here on TalkBass. However, the normal list price on them in the US is less than half of what it sold for on Ebay.

Mike

3. thank you for information, this "custom made" seemed suspicious for me too!

4. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    A sterling would be great for what your doing.

5. Lakland 55-01.

6. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I'll go with what I know - Sterling!

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Lakland 55-01 used.... $700-800
    EBMM Stingray or Sterling used.... $800-1000
    Sadowsky Metro used.... $1500-1800
    Fender MIA used.... $700-900

All USD and all amazing instruments

8. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    A Lakland 55-01 is about $780 NEW. Used seem to be around $550.

9. I think you can get a Lakland 55-02 for about 700-800 in US$ I'd go for that (Okay, I *did* go for that) because you can get a pretty wide array of tones from it, and they're made well.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Meant 55-02.

11. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I think you forget that the guy who started this thread lives in Estonia.

These prices are probably correct for the US. But I can assure you they aren't for Europe. Where I live (Belgium) A lakland used is very rare and if you find one, they cast about 900-1000€ (skylines). A used EBmm 1100-1400€. I've seen only one second hand metro (about 1800€ used) and a fender MIA is around 900-1200€ (recent models).

So I don't think this will help him a lot.

12. Hei!
    Yes i live in Estonia, but im planning to buy instrument from here. And if the seller accepts transporting to Estonia, it's perfect for me (ofcourse all fees on me). But I have a friend living in US, if the seller does not want to send it to me then i will give my friend's adress and then my buddy sends it to me.

So, different offers are very in (the bass price should be max 900)!

13. Im a lucky new Sterling owner now. Get's a little bit time before accustoming. Jazz bass had more low than the sterling, but the last one have a good slap and bright tone.

Thanks to all!
    Madis

14. Sterling!

A MIA Jazz would be nice, but you said you want something different. Tonally it will be relatively close to the MIM Jazz Deluxe.

15. Yes it is quite similar. Unfortunately I didn't had a very good deal (overseas deal). Lots of dead points and the E string sounds like " played in a shower room".
    I tried 75 RI jazz (CIJ) but it didn't have punch and grunch, what I was looking for. But yes, my fender deluxe V sounded really nice, but i think that Music Man in perfect condition will beat it. I will definitely invest to active basses in future.

16. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    If it stretches your budget too much, look for Ibanez ATKs too.

17. Thanks!

First songs out: www.myspace.com/visiondome
    KH Religion is recorded with Sterling,
    Live in Dust with fender mexico precision.