Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q for Marcus sig. jazz ownwers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 20db pad, Apr 23, 2003.

1. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've noticed that some Fender Marcus Miller signature bass owners replace the stock pre-amp for something else, like a J-Retro. I've only tried the MM in stores and have no live experience with one. Are the stock pre-amps really noisy and/or below par to the point where you'd have to replace it for live or recording use?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I found the preamp to do very little, but then again I tried one while at Guitar Center. It's possible that the battery was dead or something like that. The bass played and sounded better than a normal Fender, but I expected much more out of the MM bass in terms of sound options.

3. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have a Fender MM which had the stock preamp, it does not sound that bad to me, but I did replace mine with a J-retro, I did the work myself, if you go to the dudepit, which answers all kinds of questions on this, as well as here if you do a search, you will find the instructions on how to do it. also the new J-retro gives you much more tone and bottom and two passive modes, I think its worth it IMO....:bassist:

PEACE BE ONTO YOU!

4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Mine is stock, it sounds great, very funky, so far this is my favorite axe, I don't see why people change the preamp, IMHO all I need is a good amp, like I said before, I wasn't a big Fender fan, in fact I didn't like Fender at all, but my Marcus Miller made me a Fender believer:)