1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Q for Marcus sig. jazz ownwers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 20db pad, Apr 23, 2003.

1. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've noticed that some Fender Marcus Miller signature bass owners replace the stock pre-amp for something else, like a J-Retro. I've only tried the MM in stores and have no live experience with one. Are the stock pre-amps really noisy and/or below par to the point where you'd have to replace it for live or recording use?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I found the preamp to do very little, but then again I tried one while at Guitar Center. It's possible that the battery was dead or something like that. The bass played and sounded better than a normal Fender, but I expected much more out of the MM bass in terms of sound options.

3. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have a Fender MM which had the stock preamp, it does not sound that bad to me, but I did replace mine with a J-retro, I did the work myself, if you go to the dudepit, which answers all kinds of questions on this, as well as here if you do a search, you will find the instructions on how to do it. also the new J-retro gives you much more tone and bottom and two passive modes, I think its worth it IMO....:bassist:

PEACE BE ONTO YOU!

4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Mine is stock, it sounds great, very funky, so far this is my favorite axe, I don't see why people change the preamp, IMHO all I need is a good amp, like I said before, I wasn't a big Fender fan, in fact I didn't like Fender at all, but my Marcus Miller made me a Fender believer:)