1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Q for those of you rocking a Berg AE410...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thombas, May 2, 2010.

1. Hi, I'm in the very unfortunate situation, where I have to consider getting a rig no. 2. Oh, the hardships of life ;)... I've just landed a gig in a 4-piece ROCK outfit (classic stuff, Gibsons in knee-height :help:), with two guitarists and a - loud - drummer. My Epi 502/Schro 2x12 doesn't quite cut this one, I'm drowning between Mesa Dual Rectifiers and whatever. I basically need something that:
    1. Will keep up with the above on indoor gigs w. no PA.support.
    2. Will keep up with the above on outdoor gigs w. PA support.
    3. I'd like to avoid fridge-solutions, as I'm still the one hauling my stuff around, and I hope to use it for other applications too.
    Keywords are clean, clear, fast and punchy, so I've been thinking Berg AE410 hooked up with a Markbass SD1200. But basically I'd like to ask those of you with AE410 experience, if you think this particular 410 cuts through in settings like this?

Thanks in advance, and have a FANTASTIC Sunday!

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The AE410 will cut through anything, period. It's a matter of how you EQ your amp, and how much power you feed the Berg.

3. Well, I guess that should do it then;) I just have no experience with this type of band setting (and volume), so better ask around before I do something that maybe only works 90%. THANKS for chiming in!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Why not look at something that you can use with your 1212? Line a second one or maybe another cab to sit on it or under it? That way you have a modular 2 cab setup for a variety of different situations.

5. I thought about that too, but my 2x12 is a 4 ohm version, and adding another would get my below whats recommended for my current amp. I'd then have to get another amp anyways, and ending up with two amps and two cabs. But other than that, I think a set of those BMFs would cut pretty good too :D

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    That's why I never buy 4ohm cabs. They come with a free straightjacket. :( They severely limit your options.

7. Thats a pretty good picture of how I feel right now. I just couldn't resist the temptation of having the full 600w from my UL502 when I got the 2x12. And I have enjoyed that on occasions :bassist: But right now, yes, that's what's preventing me from going modular with that particular cab and amp.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I find that if you're using a small cab, then 8ohms and whatever hit you take for the wattage still will cover you for the stage in any situation where that cab is appropriate. The minute you're needing more wattage, you're also needing more speaker cone area, thus having a second cab.

FWIW, I have a Schroeder 1212 that I used for a single cab rig for about 2 years, before getting a second cab (HT115) to sit underneath it. Nowadays its all about fEarful 15/6 cabs for me.

9. I'd love to try one of those designs. I've never tried a multi-driver cab (not sure on that term, but I mean different driver sizes) that I liked, but from the threads on here they seem like they're worth a try. The reason I'm interested in the AE410 is the low mid WHUMP that I've come to like in my sound.

10. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I have an AE410 but have only gigged it once so far. My band is five pc. Guitar, bass, keys, drums and acoustic guitar. I also played it at a "jam" with two very loud guitarists and a very loud drummer. The AE410/Thunderfunk 550A easily kept up with in both settings.

My understanding is that the AE410 has a high-mid WHUMP whereas the Berg HS410 has the low-mid WHUMP you said that you like. The HS is a tad heavier (23#) but you may want to try that one out. I went with the AE for the difference in weight mostly. That and the reviews here on TB convinced me to go that route and I have not been disappointed at all.

So far I am very happy with the AE410 and am going to let my two EV loaded 1x15s go as I will never use them again. They sounded nice too but the Berg cab kills them.

11. I gig my AE410 a few times a month with two different cover bands. In one band the AE410 gets a much harder workout. The drummer is very heavy handed and the guitarist plays a Marshall half stack way too loudly. Despite that, the AE410 has never broken a sweat and sounds great at higher volumes.

I've found that the AE410 seems to pull a lot of juice out of any amp that I've used it with (meaning the wattage seems to go farther). Right now I'm using a GB Shuttle 6.0, but I've used a bunch of other amps with it in the past (Markbass, Walter Woods, Eden) and it always just POUNDS.
    I think the AE410 will match your tone keywords, but you should keep in mind that this is a pretty growly cab. If you are after smoothness, you'll have to do some EQ tweaking. Personally, I find that the growl can help cut through a mix so I don't EQ it out in loud situations where I want an aggressive tone.

In short, the AE410 is a loud, efficient cab that just sounds great. Will it be louder than your Schro? I would guess 'yes', but I've heard that the Schroeder cabs are very efficient and punchy as well. The Berg may give you the extra edge you need, although keep in mind that the AE410 is a 4ohm cab as well and if it doesn't end up being enough volume, you'll be in the same situation you are now, with a 1-cab setup being your only option with your head.

12. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What he said. ^^^

13. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Those Schro 1212 are plenty loud already no?
    Would a 410 be that much louder?

I would also suggest 2x Schro 1212
    Trade the 502 in for a 902 and you are set

14. Guys, THANKS for all your input! It's very valuable for me, as I have no chance of trying one before pulling the trigger. Some of the settings you described you've used it in succesfully sound a lot like what I'm facing - and the growl Stereo Joe describes would be yet another asset for my purpose.
    Other than that, the idea of 2 bmf 1212s hooked up to a UL902 would probably kill - literally :)
    THANKS again guys!