Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q for those who have owned/played Spectors of various national origins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I recently got an NS-2000. At first, I thought I would want to quickly change the pups to "real" EMG's, but I'm not thinking that at this point. This bass sounds great as is.

Here's my question: For those of you who've played the Euro neck-thru's and maybe the US basses, would you say that the NS-2000 accurately represents the "Spector sound"?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I havent played the higher end Spector models but my Spector has the HZ's in em too and i know whatcha mean. This bass sounds nice. I originally thoguht i was going to put in EMG DC40's or something, but im not so sure now. I like the tone im getting and i would hate to loose the lo-mid growl this bass has.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    When I bought this one, I played a Euro neck-through, but the room I played these basses in made them all sound almost the same, and fairly dull. So I couldn't really tell the difference, but I'd like to try them in a better room.

The more I play this NS2000, the better I like it. But if I wanted to buy a "nicer" bass in the future, I would hope one of the higher-priced Spectors would be the same, only better, if you know what I mean.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have the older version of the Euro-4 neckthrough, called the NS-4CRFM. It has P/J active EMG pickups. I really like the bass' sound and feel. I wonder how the Czech-made Spectors compare to the handmade US models, but there's no way I could afford a US model. :bawl: IMO, if you're happy with the sound of your bass, no need to mess with it. People either love or hate the active EMG's. I'd suggest you try a Euro model out and see if you prefer it's sound.