1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Q for those who have owned/played Spectors of various national origins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I recently got an NS-2000. At first, I thought I would want to quickly change the pups to "real" EMG's, but I'm not thinking that at this point. This bass sounds great as is.

Here's my question: For those of you who've played the Euro neck-thru's and maybe the US basses, would you say that the NS-2000 accurately represents the "Spector sound"?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I havent played the higher end Spector models but my Spector has the HZ's in em too and i know whatcha mean. This bass sounds nice. I originally thoguht i was going to put in EMG DC40's or something, but im not so sure now. I like the tone im getting and i would hate to loose the lo-mid growl this bass has.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    When I bought this one, I played a Euro neck-through, but the room I played these basses in made them all sound almost the same, and fairly dull. So I couldn't really tell the difference, but I'd like to try them in a better room.

The more I play this NS2000, the better I like it. But if I wanted to buy a "nicer" bass in the future, I would hope one of the higher-priced Spectors would be the same, only better, if you know what I mean.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have the older version of the Euro-4 neckthrough, called the NS-4CRFM. It has P/J active EMG pickups. I really like the bass' sound and feel. I wonder how the Czech-made Spectors compare to the handmade US models, but there's no way I could afford a US model. :bawl: IMO, if you're happy with the sound of your bass, no need to mess with it. People either love or hate the active EMG's. I'd suggest you try a Euro model out and see if you prefer it's sound.