Q for Walter Woods owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brianrost, Nov 17, 2000.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Any Woods amp users in here?

I'm looking to buy one and am leaning towards his "high power" (300 at 8 ohms, 450 at 4 ohms) model. He also makes "super high power " (650 watts) and "ulta high power" (1200 watts!!! in a 7 lb. box that's only 8"x3"x12", omigod!!!) models.

Has anyone bought one of these more powerful units, do you find you can actually USE that much power?

Just thinking that since the amps cost so much in the first place, the extra $$ for the extra power is almost trivial. Since they all use the same preamp, the only choice to make is how much wattage to pay for.

Also anyone bought his high power STEREO model (350 x 2, 100 bridged) and found it more useful than the mono versions for any reason?
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    So what are your impressions of Walter Woods amps Ed? When I was in Tokyo I went to this little guitar shop that looked like nothing from the outside, but when I stepped in lo and behold the place was filled with Foderas and other high end stuff. There was a little tiny box that at the time I thought was a preamp. Turns out it was a walter woods head. I wish I had played it to hear how it sounded.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I hear ya, Ed.

I don't play jazz, I work mostly in blues bands so I need a bit more SPL and since I also do some electric bass only gigs buying a low powered Woods usable only for SOME of my gigs vs. a higher powered one I could use for ALL my gigs doesn't make much economic sense (maybe if it was a $300 amp, I'd think otherwise).

I guess what I'm curious about is whether anyone found that the 450 watter didn't have enough juice for them.