1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Q - help) If I were Japanese...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pilotjones, Jan 17, 2013.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    ...I'd be able to read the instructions on my new Shinto Saw Rasp. But I'm not.

Can anyone help out with this? Some of it is obvious from the drawings, but there are still questions. I'm asking here instead of on some Japanese language-type forum (if such a thing exists) because my prior experience tells me that this probably requires someone with woodworking knowledge, not just language knowledge. (I've had engineering drawings from Finland, and when I asked the software guy in my company who was from Finland, he had no idea because he didn't know the jargon.)

So, the instructions are on the back of the package. Here's the first pic from the top end.
    file-8.jpg
    First there's what is probably a list of features. But below that are some cautions, which would be good to know.

Next pic down:
    file-12.jpg
    In the first illustration, A and B orientations and actions are pretty obvious. But what meaning are they trying to get across in C and D?

The second illustration is obvious, pretty much the same as A and B above it. Don't attack end grain!

Next pic down has three areas:
    file-10.jpg
    First illustration: I'm thinking this means, " If you want to trim off the end of a board, first bevel it back to your trim line, then remove the remainder with a perpendicular cut." The pic suggests it might be referring to plywood specifically.

Second illustration: OK to go cross grain? Maybe?

Third illustration: Don't know. The first action seems prohibited by a previous instruction, but this time there's no X.

Last pic:
    file-11.jpg
    The illustration is pretty clear - to thin down a board, work similarly to the end trim / plywood instruction. Take bevels from two sides, and then go flat to the line.

Below the heavy horizontal bar is text that could be useful. Odd that it ends in what might be an ellipsis...

So, has anyone got a clue?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Well, I love my Shinto.

But I never bothered to try and decipher the instructions....

Subbed. :ninja:

3. Maybe you should ask Makisuperstar, he speaks Japanese and his wife is from there.

lowsound

4. There is also an app for the iPhone called word lens. It shows you in real time what something says in English. Just point the camera at the Japanese characters and it translates them in real time on the original document. You might try that.

5. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    If no one can help you sooner, I can see if my mom can translate it later.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I thought I might not be the only one!

Thanks. I'll send a PM.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

That would be great, thanks.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Downloaded Word Lens. Unfortunately, it can only handle English, Spanish, French, and Italian.

8. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    file-8.jpg

^ It says it can be used on wood, plastic, and metal. Don't use it on other materials, don't wear gloves, and don't push too hard.

file-12.jpg

C is saying to press lightly at first and D says to file at an angle (on the edges of wood, I assume).

The second one says for thin wood, to have the wood in the direction of the second picture.

file-10.jpg

You were right about the plywood part. It's basically saying that it will pull the layers of plywood apart if you go in the wrong direction.

The second image is for rough filing, it says you can go in that direction and it will be fine even over nails. It also says to use the bigger teeth for that.

The third one says to go with the grain with the smaller teeth for finishing.

file-11.jpg

The pictures seem to be about thinning wood.

My mom said after the pictures it says something about making interesting blocks for kids or something, then it says to use a toothbrush to clean the rasp. Under the black line it says that the rasp is more useful for smaller pieces of wood and to use something else for wide or long boards.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    MakiSupaStar said he couldn't help, doesn't know the language. Wrong person maybe?

lbridenstine, thanks so much! That's awesome, a lot of things that weren't obvious. Awesome! :D

:hyper:

10. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    No problem. Glad it helps.

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Awesome is right. The Luthier's Corner never ceases to amaze me...

:)

12. Hi.

Ot, but should such a need arise in the future, I'm available for having a shot at it.
    Mechanical engineering mostly though.

Regards
    Sam

13. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, these were ME part and assembly drawings. That was fifteen years ago, but thanks for the offer!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021