Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q: How many solo bassists...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by MKS, Jun 10, 2003.

1. ...does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Only one, but once you've looped it up you can do whatever you like.

Sorry. :bag:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Speaking of light-bulb jokes, I've got Steve playing 'keys' on Friday ;)

My band, Lovesjones has been invited back to do another night at Jazz After Dark this Friday (13 June), following our successful debut there over two nights at the end of May.

The only problem is that one of our singers and the keyboard player can't make it due to other commitments. However, in a cunningly lateral solution, I've managed to persuade Steve to step into the gap, using his 'plank with strings' to assume the harmonic / solo role that the keyboard normally takes.

We're doing three sets - set one will be the stripped down bass / guitar / drums rhythm section, horns and vocals, set two will see us joined by Steve, and set three will be Steve's solo material. I think it's going to be fun - nothing like making a few changes and improvising through them to keep the music fresh :D

Wulf

3. Are you sure that's wise? Remember the duet on "Conversations" where Steve played keyboard and Jez played bass was the only one they scrubbed. ;) I'm sure he plays much better now!

Hope the gig goes well.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    What time is the first set?

5. Steve's advice on changing lightbulbs:

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    don't worry - I'm not forcing the poor man to play real keys... just to fill a 'keyboard player' kind of role on his bass. It's going to be experimental for sure (especially if he brings that new 'chaos pad' gizmo) but I'm looking forward to it.

Wulf

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    First set starts at 10:30pm - last one ends by 2:30am ( :eek: - that's why I'm happier to just be doing one night rather than going back for another swing the following evening).

It would be great to see some visitors - but do ring the venue first as it's a pretty tiny place and tends to get booked up at weekends (020 7734 0545).

Wulf

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm tempted but I'm playing in a wedding the next day. Anyway regardless of my possible attendance or not, hope you have a good gig.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    How many solo bassists does it take to change a lightbulb?

one, and that's the whole point :p

10. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    my, what a bizarre thread... ;)

the gig at Jazz After Dark looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - I'm listening through the tunes at the moment, and trying to focus on the keyboard parts not the bass! :D

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Well, that was fun! Not everything went quite as planned - sets got swapped around (ooo... let's do this one Steve hasn't worked on :D ) and space was a bit tight (postage stamp sized stage - bass, drums, guitar, sax, trumpet, vocalist AND Steve with all his gear) but it worked.

Steve also rounded off the evening with a cool set of his own stuff. Loved 'Highway 1' Steve.

It's always sobering to remember just how much I've got to learn before I can call myself a 'good bass player', but it was enjoyable all the same.

Wulf

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Glad you enjoyed the gig and sorry I couldnt make it, I had a busy night. It would have been busier if one of the bands I was rehearsing with had bothered to turn up (or tell me).

Whilst we all need to find someone who is way better than ourselves to learn from (and it took ages to find Steve) let everyone else be what they what to be and just be yourself. Music is not a competition and some of the best music I have ever heard is also the simplest. Simple bassists rule-erm that didnt come out right did it?

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I mean I've got a long way to go before I reach the fluency and control of the instrument that I would like. However, it has to be said that, if you're inviting a second bassist onto the stage, Steve's a good choice - he was very restrained during the joint set and resisted pulling off any jaw dropping licks that would upstage what I was doing with the bass line (cheers, Steve, ;) ).

Wulf