Q on fender jaco "relic"ing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmrtnko, Sep 24, 2001.

1. jmrtnko

Jul 9, 2001
    i've seen a bunch of the fender relic series, but had never taken much notice of them until now. seems like every guitar center in the usa has a jaco j-bass reproduction hanging on the wall (until it sells that is).

so now having seen a couple of them (and the picture of it on the fender site), just how do they do such consistant distressing? granted, i couldn't do any side-by-side visual comparison, but they all looked pretty damn close.

i guess it woudln't be impossible to put together a cnc setup, but that seems like overkill. is all the distressing hand-done? anybody know?

2. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I remember reading an article about the relic process, and the guy said they basicly just do what ever they can think of to make it look old. Burns on the headstock, breaking beer bottles on the body, taking a belt sander to the body, etc. Sounds like a fun job to me! :D

With the Jaco bass, I think they went by photographs and other sources to recreate the bass as close as they could. The scratches and dents from throwing the bass into drum sets, general wear and tear, etc. I think they also defretted the bass in the same manner as Jaco. Wasn't the bass a limited edition? That would explain why they all look similar. If they only had a certian number to do, then they could do it more accuratly.

3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The "relic" process is a true art form of the Fender Custom Shop. It is hand done and one of the reasons that the price is high. I don't think it's for me but I understand they are sweet players.

The Jaco relic is not limited edition. IIRC there was a previous run of Jaco limited edition basses some time ago.