Q on SX P/J Bass - sunburst on both sides?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gnobility, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Gnobility

Aug 13, 2003
    A few weeks back I called Rondo and was about to order an SX P/J bass in sunburst, but the sales dood told me the sunburst basses were solid black on the back. (And we all know how that would hose up the tone)

Tonight I saw a number of Rondo's eBay ads for the P/J's, the ads include photos of the back, which are clearly sunburst.

I looked over a fair number of Rondo's eBay ads, and it appears the the photo-flamed SB basses are the ones with solid black backs.

I know a handful of you have bought the P/J's - can anyone verify whether they're sunburst front and back like the photos on eBay?

I'd also be interested in your impressions of the bass now that the honeymoon is wearing off.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My P bass copy is sunburst on both sides.

It sounds great, like a P bass. The only thing that I don't like is that the fret ends are sharp and stick out over the sides of the fingerboard. I got a maple board, I hear that the rosewood boards don't have this problem.

It is an easy enough fix, I just haven't gotten around to dressing the fret ends yet.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I know someone who just got a P/J SX and it was burst on both sides.
  4. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I was at Rondo a few weeks ago - the PJ is sunburst on both sides.
  5. Gnobility

Aug 13, 2003
    Thanks to all - I placed my order today. Let there be THUMP! (with maybe a bit of jazz bridge dialed in too)