Q: Sansamp BDDI with Amp Head (Ampeg B2R)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wireking1, Nov 13, 2004.

1. I own an Ampeg B2R head. I have had my Presonus Bluemax compressor running through the effects loop along with my Wah pedal.

I recently purchased Sansamp BDDI. I want a Ampeg Vintage SVT type of sound. How should I place the BDDI in the chain? The following come to mind:

1. Bass > Sansamp > B2R Head (with Comp > wah in effects loop). I have only really had a chance to run this setup so far. (just got the Sanasmp). I though it sounded great with settings on SVT. I hear people talking about not wanting the coloring from 2 preamps. Is this a real issue, and if so how?

2. Bass > B2R Head (with Comp > wah > Sansamp in effects loop). Not sure how different this would be from running it between bass and amp head. I will give it a shot to see. Any opinions?

3. Bass > Comp > wah > Sansamp > B2R effects loop in. I would think that this would bypass the heads preamp entirely. I wonder if this would render both of the EQs in the head usless? I suppose his would be similar to RBI/BDDI > Power amp type setup. Any opinions.

I am going to play around with all these setups and any you suggest. Thanks.
  2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    When I use my SansAmp, I always use your first method. I thought about the two preamp thing and just set the amps EQ flat, so as far as I'm concerned, it's only an issue if you make it one. How do YOU think it sounds?

I keep meaning to try bypassing the heads preamp with your third method, but never seem to get around to it.
  3. Still need to play around a little but so far. I ran it bass > compressor > sansamp > effects in on the amp. Sounds good. It is a little hard to control the volume (little adjstments make huge volume changes). It seems to get louder than when I run it Bass > sansamp > input on the amp.

My first impression is that I don't mind the sound of the Samsamp & Ampeg together and I like having the EQ and Volume controls on the amp.

I could't get the setup right by running the Sansamp in the effects loop. I am going to do more testing, but should this sound basically the same as running it before the amp?

I think that If I can figure out how to get it into the effects loop that would be the best for me. I could use the gain/master volumes on the amp, the EQ on the amp and I could plug the input from the bass into the amp. That would certainly look cleaner to me.

Still testing.......
  4. I have decided to run my Sansamp BDDI in the effects loop of the B2R. I am running a compresser and the BDDI ( effects loop send > compresser > Sansamp > effects return).

My question is this: which settings do I use for the XLR and 1/4" outputs? I am using the 1/4" output to the return on the effects loop. Do I want it set to "line" or "Instrumnent"?

When would I set the output of either xlr or 1/4" to "intrument" vs. "line"

I know when the 1/4" output is in the "line" position the output is 0db and in the "instrumnet" setting it is -10db. I am guessing that I should run it in as "line" for most applications and "instrument" for Pantom Power situations. But would like a second... or third opinion. Thanks.
  5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I think the effects loop of the b2-r is parallel and IMO because of that you should not run the sans amp and compressor in the effects loop. If it is a series effects loop then you should run them in the loop.

The wah should be in the loop.
  6. I wonder how I could find out if the B2R effects loop is programed for series or parallel? What is the difference?