Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q-Tec Super vs. EMC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Dec 29, 2000.

1. I recentl bought a Tanglewood Rebel 4k bass. The specs on a website I saw said that it had Q-Tec super pickups, a P and a J. This was not the Tanglewood site(which I canniot find).
    Then, I bought the bass from a local retailer and the guitr has EMC Electonics pickups, a P and a J.
    The ba does not look modified and the pickups sit well in the body, and sound nice. Problem is, I don't know whether I should have Q-Tec and have ben ripped off, or whether the EMC's are better pickups...!

2. bass goddess

bass goddess

Apr 1, 2001
    scotland
    hi, i am also the rpoud female owner of a red hot sexy red tangelwood rebel 4k bass. i was told that it is a good bass for beginners which is good because i havent been playing for that long. i am not a bit more experienced with the playing of bass and have a few live shows under my belt but i do have a little problem that hopefully soemone could help me with. the E string on my baby buzzes quite a lot and it kinodf pisses me off and takes the look away from my playing, especialy when i am slapping. in the post by the pantera fan you said soemhtign about ch aging soemhting but i dont know that much about the technical side of my bass so if maybe you wanted to e-mail soemhitng to me in laments terms about getting rid of the buzz that would be appreciated.

thanks a lot

3. OK, if none of your other strings buzz, you need to raise the <b>action</b> of your E string. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Get a Phillips head screwdriver.

2. Look at the ass-end of your bass(bridge)

3. Above the holes where the strings go in, there should be some cavities for sum screws.

4. Turn these screws clockwise with the screwdriver, testing the E string until its buzzing is lowered to an appropriate level.

This can be applied to the other strings too :)

4. bass goddess

bass goddess

Apr 1, 2001
    scotland
    thanks pantera fan, your help has been greatly appreciated, just out of interest how much ddi you pay for your bass and how long have you had it? and all tangelwood bassses that i have seen have all had emc pickups so i dont think youve been ripped off.

5. I paid £200 new for it, on Boxing Day last year. The pickups aren't bad but I really want to hot rod my bass and I need to get info on the pickups.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't have a response to this thread.

7. bass goddess

bass goddess

Apr 1, 2001
    scotland
    every bass from tangelwood ive ever touched thqt hasnt been tinkered wiuth has had Emc Pickups, i do not know so much about all the mad things like screweing around with it,. i paid the same price for it at christmnas this year. 1st hand.

i think if you changed the string gauge you might get a better sound, but if you really want to muck around with your babay you should take it to a shop, dont hurt it.

hee hee

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, uhhhh......pantera fan...you just told bass goddess how to adjust the INTONATION (or length of the string which has a direct relationship to the accuracy of the pitch of the notes up and down the fretboard for any given string) on her bass....if you look at the saddle....the little thingy that the string actually rests on on the bridge, you should see a couple little hex screws...they may be recessed into the saddle a little, but if you use a hex key and turn them clockwise, this should actually raise the string. and you may want to think about having someone at a shop set the bass up for you. it's relatively inexpensive, and they can set up the action and the intonation for u...good luk :D

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :rolleyes:

:D

10. --------------------------------------------------
    hey, uhhhh......pantera fan...you just told bass goddess how to adjust the INTONATION (or length of the string which has a direct relationship to the accuracy of the pitch of the notes up and down the fretboard for any given string) on her bass....if you look at the saddle....the little thingy that the string actually rests on on the bridge, you should see a couple little hex screws...they may be recessed into the saddle a little, but if you use a hex key and turn them clockwise, this should actually raise the string. and you may want to think about having someone at a shop set the bass up for you. it's relatively inexpensive, and they can set up the action and the intonation for u...good luk
    --------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but on the Tanglewood Rebel 4K bass(which I own) those 'recesses' are perfectly round. a hex key does not gain a foothold in them. I found this out when I first tried raising the action of my strings. No hex key, my friend. The luthier at my local guitar store said the only way to raise the action was to pull the saddles further away from the body so that they rose the action of the strings. So I did. If it screws up my intonation, well there aint no way for me toplay comfortably at the right intonation. It's a sad fact of the Rebel 4K.
    Plus, anyone decent enough to set up a bass is £20($40) a pop. Seeing as they don't know exactly how <b>you</b> like your bass to play, it's only reasonable to learn how o do things yourself. Unless you aren't interested in your bass. Hell, setup relates to the music theory side of things too, so if you truly love the bass you won't be loathe to find out its inner workings.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow....hurtin'