Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q Thron's trouble

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chalie, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

I bought a Q-Tron filter for my bass and I notice that it is not suitable to most of my active basses.
    Before I have it, Itried with A Fender JB standard model and it was working OK so I took it.
    When I have it then I tried with my other basses which are active and realized that the output of the basses were to strong that the Q Tron can not take the signal and were giving such a terrible sounding even at the minimum gain control at the machine.
    I tried to lower the volume on the bass and it was helping a little but the the total output is droped as well.
    :(
    Do you face this kind of trouble as well and how you treat it.

Thanks

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Try switching the switch in the top right to "Boost" it's not what it sounds like. You'd think its boosts the signal and make it louder? No. It turns the gain control into a Volume Knob as well as the Effect knob. Try this:

Switch the drive switch to the "Up Arrow"
    Switch the other to "Boost"
    Put the Peak to 12:00
    Gain to 6:00
    Set the Range to Hi
    And the Mode to Mix

Do you still get an awful sound out of it? Every bass I've tried my Q-Tron with has been active. That includes a Wal, An Original '78 Sting Ray, and my Yamaha BBG4S2. It sounds fine with all of them.

3. I hear alot about active basses having problems with EHX pedals, but my q-tron and bassballs work fine with my active basses. I have heard them with passive basses and without a doubt they do sound noticably better, but not to the point to where they're useless with actives. It's gotta either be a bad unit, or a problem with eq/settings.

4. Thanks for your advice and sorry for late response.
    I will try today and let you know.

5. Good question .. they said mine was a demo unit, last one in the store take it or leave it off course with a good discount.