Q-TRON before Distortion or after?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 10, 2005.

1. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    Which will have a better/richer sound as far as the sound for the Q-tron in relation with a distortion/overdrive (DOUBLE MUFF)?
    Should it be somewhere b4 the distortion pedal or after?

one more thing.. I have decided to put the sansamp bass driver and Aphex bass Xciter in the same chain on my board, but of course NOT running both at the same time. The Sansamp I believe should be after the Qtron and distortion, reasons being is for me to have more control on the Q-tron and have a warmer sound for the distortion (I believe this is the right way so pls correct me if I'm wrong..)
    anyways my other question is..

Is it better to have the bass Xciter after the digitech chorus as the last pedal on my chain or before the chorus and have the digitech as the last pedal? Will the Xciter enhance the chorus if it is placed after it as the last pedal? and also should my punch factory(compressor) be before the Qtron or after?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You want the Q-tron before the distortion. It's better to distort a filtered sound than to filter a distorted sound.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I would place modulation or echo effects last.

So if I had your pedals, I will go like this:

QTron>Sansamp(pre OD EQ)>OD>Exciter(post OD EQ)>Chorus
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd to the Q-Tron first as well, works off of the dynamics of your playing, so the signal should be in its most natural state.
  5. Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    I used to run my mini q into my US big muff and it was cool but then I accedently swapped it around one day it it sounds way cooler that way, the distorted signal going into the filter just sounds really cool and synthy
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Why dont you put them in the different orders that you're talking about - and then see which ones you like more?
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup. Personally I prefer distortion and fuzz BEFORE filters
  8. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Personally cos I'm an effects whore I put distortion and fuzz before and after my wah's and filters. Helps when you have 8 gain pedals on your board though.