1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Q-tron or bass balls? Both older models. Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ian the bassist, May 21, 2012.

1. I am looking to buy an envelope filter for my bass. I am torn between two. I will link to both and people in the know can tell me what you think.

Bass balls- http://www.adverts.ie/bass-effects/bass-balls/1445645

Q-tron- http://www.adverts.ie/bass-effects/qtron/1445614

I have never had the chance to play either. But have heard you have more control over the Q-tron. Sometimes a good thing, sometimes not. What do you guys think? I know there was already a topic for this. But these pedals look fairly older. And not sure if they are different to newer models.

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

They sound completely different...you may need to youtube these and see what sound you like better.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

As mentionned ^^^

I've had the Bassballs. It`s a fun pedal, but not all that versatile because its got this unique voice. From what I read here and listened to on YouTube, the Q-Tron has a better range of sounds. So it depends what you to get from your pedal.

4. These models look completely different to the others I have seen though. I like both. So since they are going reasonably cheap. I might buy both of them. Do these particular ones sound much different to the newer models? They look quite different.

5. As is mentioned, they are different. I have a Russian Bassballs that I modded to have external trimpots and a clip for that is here.

The Q tron has a much greater versatility, but it doesn't have that high/ low sound the Bassballs has. That will be the deciding factor for you unless you get both.

I have both (well, a Qtron+), and usually I prefer the Bassballs for most series signal chains, but the Qtron has a pretty awesome pull for a lot of other things.

When I first tried the Bassballs in the store I didn't like it and went with a Micro Qtron instead. A few years later I tried it and liked it a lot. I don't really know what happened, but something did :cool:.

6. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This. With these pedals, it's all about the voicing.