Q-Tron or not Q-Tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eldave777, May 25, 2005.

1. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I've been looking for a good envelope filter. I have had several and all have fallen short. Can anybody give me a review of the Q-Tron? I want it to sound like God's mutron!!!
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    I own a Q-tron, and I think it sounds pretty friggin cool. It's pretty flexible, so getting a good sound is possible, but it takes some tweaking. Have you checked out electroharmonix.com? They have sound clips of everything they make, so you can listen before you buy. That's what sold me!
  3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I didn't like the mini-Q. Very fussy trying to get a decent filter sound. I'm picky, though.
  4. Definitely go for the Qtron. Don't waste your time with the Mini.
    I wish I had...

5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I've tried both the mini and the plus model and hated them both.

To me the mini is just plain horrible, overly harsh and a massive volume boost when kicked in.

The Q-tron plus, I kinda liked but it wasn't perfect, every mode I tried it got kinda close to the sound I wanted but not quite there, even with loads and loads of tweaking. The pedal is very big and takes up more space than its worth on a pedalboard, it didn't feel all that sturdy. Again it had a massive volume boost when turned on even with the boost off it was near unbearable.

My personal fav is the MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q but I don't think it's as wet as a Mutron.

I recently tried the pigtronix EP-1 and that has an amazing filter section, but its a very expensive pedal if you don't plan on using the phaser section, but all in all it is probably the best filter I have heard so far, and I've tried loads on my quest for the perfect filter.

The M-188 covers my needs and has a very unique sound, its also very controllable, doesn't have crazy peaks all over the place and the bass response is awesome.

Hope this helps
  6. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Thanks guys. Looks like it's Q-Tron time!!!
  7. the q-tron dont live up to their reputation, i've had one for a while and it's not anywhere near as good as its described on the ehx website. Although as an auto-wah type sound its good for slapping but as an envelope filter its not sludgey, greasey, wet enough for my tastes.
  8. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm looking for something that's just nasty ya know?
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Guess it all depends on who you ask. I had the Mini Q for a long time and I loved it - I was able to easily dial in some rather sick funk tones with it. My only complaint is that the volume spiked when it kicked in.

For reference, what are the other envelope filters owned?
  10. UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I had a Q Tron but I got frustrated with the boost and it also lacked true bypass which is the reason why it is gone. Great tones, but lots of tweaking necessary.

Now I'm thinking about the EBS IQ envelope filter. Anybody have one? On the website it sounds awesome. I need to check out the others as well.
  11. rutherford420

Apr 2, 2005
    Emma DiscomBOBulator! Very smooth, plenty of tweakability, no harsh peaks.
    Unless, of course you can afford a Lovetone Meatball, or the Moogerfooger. (I can't)