Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q-Tron+ question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sako, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Just picked one up (thanks jammadave), and want to know what effects do you use in your Q-tron+ effects loop?

So far, I've tried OD and phase. I'd like to try a fuzz, but do not have one yet. Any thoughts on which fuzz to use?

FYI, I play a passive Jazz, and have a Small Stone phaser, Cool Cat Chorus, a DOD250 OD, and a Behringer OD (yeah, I know) on my board, with a Bassballs on the way. Adding a fuzz will pretty much be it for quite a while as far as adding pedals.

Also, any favorite settings? Thanks.

2. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    anyone use a +?

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I use the original...i've never tried the +. I've heard there are 2 different modes on it, one for the original "snakelike" attack of the Q-Tron and one for a slower one or something. How do you like the other mode?

4. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, the Response switch -- Fast, like the the original Q-tron, and Slow. Since I'm still getting used to the Q+, I don't have favorite settings yet, but the Response switch is great in that it gives you more options. With some of the settings on this pedal, I've noticed that the difference in Fast and Slow is fairly subtle.

This pedal is a beast -- it has a lot of potential and it's freakin' big. It may be too complex for me, but after I spend some quality time with it, I'm sure I'll have several settings that will be totally workable. The effects loop seems pretty cool, although I haven't A/B'd an effect in the loop vs. before or after the Q+. And with the space limitations on my board, it may have to be limited to just one pedal in the loop, and a small one at that -- sorry Big Muff, I'll have to look for a smaller fuzz.

I've only tried one other env filter (besides those modeled in multieffects units), so I can only compare it to the DOD FX25B, which I liked, but IMO was a one trick pony and had volume issues (in fairness, I never took it to practice or gigged with it). The pedals in the local shops are pretty limited where I live, especially when it comes to env filters. But I think I made a damn good purchase.