Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q-Tron+ vs. Moogerfooger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aaron J, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey all, I have been on the market for a good envelope filter and I do not have the money for a Lovetone. I have narrowed my search down to the Q-Tron+ and the Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter. I have a little experience with the Q-Tron and was happy with it, but I have also heard good reviews of the Moogerfooger. I was wondering a few things...I have heard that the Q-Tron does not have a whole lot of bass friendly settings, where as the Moogerfooger does not have a true bypass and might be a little less versatile and "greasy". I have done searches on both of these, and I did not find a direct comparison. Does anyone have experience on both or any comments?

2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    If I were you I would go for the Mutron III+. I've tried the Moogerfooger but the Mutron III+ sounds much better. I think the pricetag is pretty much the same for the two pedals. I haven't tried the Q-tron - at least not yet.

3. Mutron for pure funk, mooger fooger is good, very versatlie, more so than the Mutron, Q-tron is good but not up there with Mutron.
    Watch out with the Mooger Fooger, it's not true bypass, in fact I found it to be one of the worst tone sucking pedals I've owned, so use with a looper!

Tony

4. calvizio

calvizio

Aug 30, 2004
    i use with big satisfaction (sound & money!!!) the DOD FX25B.
    it's good to get a great dub-sound (turnin' low sensitivity)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out the DiscumBOBulator by Emma Electronic.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've heard that pedal and want one myself, very cool.

I have a Q-tron+. It's cool, but it's a tone sink as well. You'll need to use it with a loooper type pedal.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The discumbobulator sounded great on guitar, but lost a LOT of low end when I tried it on bass.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good to know, that would be bad.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the envelope filter that MXR makes. Check that one out for sure. I would love to have one myself. I heard a guy try a used one in Guitar Center in Boston and it was unreal!!!! He bought it on the spot.

10. I wouldn't bother with any of the ones you listed. Most of them sound appauling on bass. I have been seaching for a long time for a good bass envelope filter and the best I've seen/heard is the EBS BassIQ. It's damn easy to use (unlike the QTron) and you don't loose any low end. Try one out and A/B it with your other choices. I think you'll be surprised.

11. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    Is there a blend function on EBS ?
    Like mixing the direct sound of the bass less or more with the effect. Does it have a sound like FLEA video DOD FX24 ?

12. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Another vote for the ebs- surely the wash and go of the envelope filter world... no need to spend time fiddling and experimenting plug it in and bobs your uncle, more good sounds than I've manged in an immeasurable amount of time faffing with a q-tron. Blend-nope... but the loss of low end is less than most others.

Admitedly a bit more sterile sounding than your mutronIII- but... ...y'know... times have changed'n'all... ...these ain't no steenkin' 70s.

13. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    Where can i find sound samples or mp3's to Mooger Fooger Low pass filter - MuTron III - Lovetone Meatball ?
    Recorded with BASS of course not a guitar.

14. Having owned all of the pedals you listed at some point, I can confirm that the above statement is way off the mark, they all work well with bass but all sound different. The EBS bass IQ is a good pedal, not as funky as a Mutron, not as versatile as a MF, blows a qtron away though.

The thing with filters is it ain't just about the pedal, its as much about the tequnique of the player as they rely so much on the dynamics of whats being played. If you ain't going to work on what you're putting in, all you're going to get out is a monotonous "quack" no matter if its a mutron or Bass IQ, these pedals really do rely so much on the input or touch of the player to work well.
    A lot of players have used filters to great effect, but if you want to hear someone control a filter with stlye, check out Doug Wimbish on the Jungle Funk album, you can hear him use an envelope filter on may recordings but in my opinion the JF album shows off his style well

T.

15. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    To the original question...

Mooger... bob Moog REFINED the lowpass filter, without him we would be no-where... The Mooger is where it is at!..

Alex

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Go with the moogerfooger. I have one and I really like it. It sounds really good with bass, but as others have said it does have tone suck. I have it in a loop so I can take it out of the signal path when not used. I used to have an EBS BassIQ and while it is a nice pedal, it was very sterile sounding. It had almost no "greasy" funk to it. I was never happy with the tone. I love the versatility of the MF. You can even add up to 4 expression pedals to it to alter the sounds even more.

-KB

17. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    If the Meatball is of interest, you should also check out the Studio Electronics Modmax filter. Same pricerange as Mutron, but many many more possibilities. For live, I use the BassIQ, and don't find it the LEAST bit sterile, especially if I follow it with a hint of chorus.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I appear to be in the minority, but I actually prefer the Q-tron to both the original and reissue Mutron. I have not tried the Moogerfooger, though. My Q-tron is true bypass. Having heard that some units had the tone suck issue, I took it apart to replace the switch with a true bypass, and low and behold, it already was a true bypass switch! I had never really noticed the tone suck issue before, but I was just going through a paranoid, purity of signal phase, and wanted to be sure. It is my understanding that some of the Q-tron units have the true bypass switch, and some don't. If you buy a Q-tron from AnalogMan, then it should most definitely have the true bypass. I can't speak directly for the Q-tron+, though.

I also agree with comments about technique when playing through a filter/follower. It took me a lot of tweaking with the input gain and with my technique to get my EF effect to where I like it, but I'm pretty happy with it, overall. If any of you get your mitts on the TalkBass.com CD Sampler, I am playing through my Q-tron on my song "Hey", by Gingley JoH.

Later, Tom.