1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Q-Tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmann135, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Bassmann135

Bassmann135

Nov 10, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hi, I have the electro-harmonix Q-Tron. Its not the plus or mini just the regular. I'm wondering what settings would make it sound like Subterranean Homesick Blues covered by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm also wondering what would be a good setting for Sir Psycho Sexy by the Red hot Chili Peppers.

Thanks!

2. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Like all filter-type pedals, it depends on the signal going into the pedal. Active/passive bass, what's before it in the chain, is it in your effects loop, etc. all make a difference on filters like that. I don't think anyone's going to be able to give you a good answer.

Honestly, I haven't heard the songs you mentioned, but the best thing to do is just keep messing with it till you figure it out. Who knows, you might find something that sounds cooler. Good luck!

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I am also a proud owner of the Q-Tron and to get those songs it is really up to many things:
    1) type of bass (active/passive)
    2) where in your pedal order is is located.
    3) your own playing dynamics just like any envelope filter
    4) to get it exact is damn near impossible but you can get close

I set mine as follows with slight fuzz AFTER and its pretty close
    DRIVE: UP
    BOOST: NORMAL
    PEAK about 10 o'clock
    GAIN: for me about 8 o'clock and i play slightly aggresive (finger)
    MIX with LOW position

try that out and go from there!

4. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    origional qtron or the new xo qtron (not +)?
    I'm running the xo qtron with the settings of

BOOST: on
    GAIN: 8 o'clock
    PEAK: 3:30
    RANGE: lo
    SWEEP: up
    MODE: mix

this gives me a decent sound for sir psycho sexy but as has been mentioned, the type of bass, whether it's active or passive, and playing dynamics are going to change a lot on the sound of the pedal so ymmv. Do some experimenting and see what you come up with. You might even like a different tone better than the origional.

5. People say he used the bassballs pedal for those songs but the qtron with a fuzz should get you close. I have the big Q-tron and the sweet spot for the gain knob is definitely around 8 o'clock. I used to only use the lo mode but I think the mix position gives you more clarity.