1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Q Tuner BL4s....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by melt, May 20, 2011.

1. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    I know this isn't likely, but does anyone have any Q-Tuner BL4bass pickups? My custom bass was planned with them but unfortunately they stopped production before I got some and the new versions won't be in production til at least next year.

2. Well I have the singles, and as far as I'm aware the only difference is that the singles have a slight bias towards the high end while the BL's just have a lower end extension. In any case, Q-Tuner pickups don't sound like anything, they're almost invisible! Be sure that's what you want, though; the first time I had them I found them weird just because one is used to having color on a bass and here you were just listening to the color of the strings and the wood. If clarity is your thing, go ahead.

I will say that I think these pickups are made to be equalized. Think about this way, you're granted permission to have the full sonic spectrum of your bass without color just so you can edit it, in contrast to most basses where you have only the color provided. Then again, if you don't know how to EQ you're going to have a very sterile tone.

P.S. Amazingly enough, if you bass's construction provides the sonic color you're looking for then these pickups will just give you the tone you had before, but with like tons of clarity.

3. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    Oh, I eq plenty. Never been a "flat" player. ;)

Anyone have any for sale?

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I predict that the new version of Q-Tuners wont be transparent! They look like a lot of work to make for sure. There's no way they are cast in epoxy with all the parts in place. They must be done in stages. This is to stop the powerful neo magnets from flipping over and sticking together!

Clearly it was too much labor for the selling price.

Florox, Q-Tuners certainly do have a signature tone. They are very clear, and also VERY bright. I make a similar pickup, also very clear and bright, but it leans more towards a warmer version of that tone.

5. Correct, they do have a signature tone. However I find them to be very invisible across the spectrum except in the treble region, where it suddenly gets quite peaky, which brings a lot of detail. Heck, I might be wrong in what I'm saying, but to my ears it sounds this way.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, I'd agree with that.

7. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    So, I guess no-one has any for sale?

8. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

...from my cold, dead fingers.... :rollno:

9. PM sent

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My BL-4s are not very bright at all. Extremely warm, in fact. That's a function of the particular bass they are in, I think.