1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Q-Tuner pickup in Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I'm going to install a Q-Tuner GS Pickup in my Fender Musicmaster. I mean... why not? Right?

Anyway, on the site it recommends I use 500k or 1 meg pots. I don't know much about pots, or electronics for that matter... so which size might yield a more desirable sound on bass?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I can't wait to see - and hear - this! :bassist:

The higher value pots should sound slightly brighter, lower value pots slightly warmer. (The most common value for Fender-type stuff is 250K, but that's for a typical split-P or single-coil pickup. The Q-tuners are obviously not so typical! ;))

If it were me, I'd probably do 500K. The extra-bright 1M might be a bit of a shock, going from the super-muffled stock electronics. (You can always compensate with the tone knob, though - that's what it's there for!)

Good luck with the project and definitely please post the results! :)

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020