Q Tuners and string spacing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassrique, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I did a preliminary archive search and I'm not clear on whether one may change the string spacing on a Q Tuner equipped bass w/out harming the functionality of the pickups.

Is it correct to say that Q Tuners are not blade pickups, and therefore would be sensitive to string spacing?

Here's a pic of a 5 string Q Tuner pup for those that may not be familiar:

[​IMG]

http://www.q-tuner.com/index.shtml

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You can use them with any string spacing up to the max allowable that's shown on the drawings on their site. They act like a blade that also has sensitivity/height adjustment per string. Also, all but the BS/J model allow you to vary aperture width as well as doing narrow aperture nearer the neck side, the center, or the bridge side.

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    To my understanding, they are not blade type, but their pole pieces are many and tight enough, so I don't think that they would be sensitive to string spacing issues (as long as they are in the field (spacing) of the pickup

4. How do you think the Q Tuners would compare to your favorites [Villex]?

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I don't "think". I know ;)

I've owned Q tuners both for bass as well as for guitar.

6. OK, how would you compare Villex and Q Tuner pickups?

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    They are different in many ways. I need to search for a thread that compared the two pickups (it was 1-2yrs back IIRC)

Having tried both, my vote goes to Villex pickups

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    And mine goes to the Q-Tuners. Funny how that works ; }

Everybody's got different basses and string preferences, and different rigs. And different ears and tone prefs. Thus diversity in pickups also serves a purpose.

9. You've tried both Villex and Q Tuners? If so, why do you like the QTs better?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Nope. I queried Villex about a certain design in a J form factor and he didn't want to build in that size and type. So I bought a Q-Tuner BS. And it was exactly what I've always wanted for both general tonal approach and adjustability. Then I bought a used older BL-5 version for the same bass, and two BL-6 for another.

After many J pickups especially, I need look no further. This is permanent : }

11. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I have both.

It's hard to do a direct comparison as the Villex set is in my Fender and the Q-tuners are in my MTD Kingston. To put into simple terms I would call Q-Tuners clean and transparent, and Villex clean with very present fundamental and hint of warmth across the spectrum.

Doesn't get any more vague than that. :meh:

There are soundclips of both around here somewhere. They should give you a good idea of what you can expect.

12. I didn't see the comparison or clips on my first search. Can anyone provide a link?

13. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Will Q-Tuner BS pickups drop into a vintage Jazz bass without having to rout anything?

Thanks!

14. They dropped straight in my MIJ 62RI Jazz if that helps

15. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Thank you, Matt. I just communicated with Erno, who confirmed that they will drop right in. Also, I checked the drawing on Q-Tuner's website (duh) and it checks out.

Do you have any comments on these pickups in your particular bass?

16. Yeah they are superb - they have far more clarity than the barts I swapped out. They give some great tones for fretless playing (especially for harmonics and slap/popping).

A lot of people have recommended that you wire them direct to the jack (no volume/tone control etc) but i've got them hooked up to My John East J-retro and I'm yet to find another bass that sounds this good or this versatile.

A bit of a G.A.S. killer IMHO

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021