1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Q-Tuners worth trying in a Flea Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyMonkCP, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I was just wondering if Q-Tuners were worth trying in a flea bass. I currently have a lane poor in my flea. It's not that I don't like it, I love it actually, I just want to experiment with other types of pickups in a unique bass like a flea. Q-Tuners seem like they would be a good pickup to experiment with. Guess, I would just like to know everybody else's thougts on that. Thanks.

2. Well... I've got a Flea fiver with dual Bartolini J pickups and I love it's tone. I just back up the blend a little towards the bridge with the EQ flat and I get a perfect punchy fingerstyle response. I don't think you're going to find any better than the Lane Poor for the MM configuration. One thing you could do that would make a bigger improvement for your tone would be to have someone replace the lightweight stock bridge and install a higher mass alternative. I put a Badass V on mine and noticed a great improvement in sustain and clarity of articulation. I think that the Moduluses that Flea plays have the Badass installed. That and I don't much care for the voicing of the Aguilar Pre I have in my bass. I don't really use the onboard EQ much so it's not much of a problem for me, but at some point I would like to try something like the Demeter onboard pre on a Flea. Let us know what you wind up doing.

3. I have a badass II and OBP-1 on mine. I'm happy with my tone, I'd just like to experiment some.

4. I guess if you have the money and the curiousity there's no reason not to try them. Mabee you could try a humbucker with splitable coils for a greater variety of tones. But like they say, "If it ain't broke..."

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I've got of set of Lane Poor wide apertures in my Hamer Chaparral 12-string, and was thinking about installing a Q-tuner in my Pedulla Rapture 5.

Q-Tuner told me it was their policy not to comment on the sound of other manufacturer's pickups, so I wasn't able to get any idea how they compare to the Lane Poors. I wonder if they are similar???

6. I emailed them asking if their pickups would fit in my bass and he said I'd have to route my bass. Yeah, I love my bass far too much to do that. I really wish that their pickups would have fit with out modifications. I would have really liked to try these.