Q: When was introduced P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kim do yeon, Oct 6, 2003.

1. kim do yeon

kim do yeon

Sep 6, 2003
    as i know, first P bass borned in 1951.

but it's not same as that we are using one recently.

it have a tele body, tele head, diffrent pick guard and diffrent pick up.(like sting's bass)

i want to know when was introduced same as one using recently.

anybody know that?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    'K, here goes: As you mentioned, '51 was the start. In 1954, contours were added to the body. In 1957, the split pickup was added, and a pickguard in a similar shape to the "modern" P installed, but the pickguard was anodized aluminum. I think 1962 is when the rosewood fingerboard was introduced (they were all maple previously), but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It got the contoured body in '54, but still had the Telecaster headstock and the single coil pickup. Mid-'57 is when it really started looking like it does now - split-coil pickup, larger Strat-style headstock, 4 saddle bridge, and the current pickguard shape.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I found it interesting that the original P Basses had rubber mutes on the strings. Leo was originally trying to re-create the sound of a double bass. I don't think he realised exactly how much his invention would develop and change over the years.
  5. Fender hit another home run with the Precision Bass, the first fretted electric bass. Still today, it's the standard by which all basses are judged. Early P-basses (late 1951 to mid 1957) are collectable, but not as much as the models from mid-1957 to mid-1959 with split coil pickups, aluminum pickguards, and maple necks.

Early Jazz Basses with concentric tone and volume knobs are also very collectable, along with the three knob configuration pre-CBS Jazz basses. Until the late 1980's, the P-bass sound was more desirable by players than the J-bass. But by 1990, the sound and feel of the J-bass had become preferred.

Fender Bass History

;) Treena
  6. kim do yeon

kim do yeon

Sep 6, 2003
    thanks to everybody answered.
  7. Hmm, I don't think this is true. It might have been the first commercially successful electric fretted bass, but a few other companies and luthiers attempted to do it before. Maybe somone can shed some light onto this?
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Excellent Site! Thanks. I alway thought that Gibson had a precursor to the EB-1 that was supposedly similar to an EUB. Any ideas on that? I knew about the rest thanks mainly to the book How the Fender Bass Changed the World.

Dan :bassist:
  9. Great Site! Thanks for the Link.

Guess I was right after all!

;) Treena
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The ombudsman is correct. According to "How the Fender Bass Changed the World" there were a few failed attempts at an electric bass in the 30s and 40s. Leo developed the first succesful fretted electric bass but not the very first ever.
  11. On the site I put a link to, they also say Jaco invented the electric fretless bass, but I doubt that. Bill Wyman claims he did. But maybe even Wyman is wrong (he only said "I'm pretty sure of it").

The site is also contradictory: They say Leo invented the first electric bass, then they say that "Paul Tutmarc builds first amplified bass guitar" in 1933. :confused:
  12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I read that Wyman was playing a fretless Ampeg bass in the 60s when Jaco was just a young'n! :p I dont think Jaco made that claim either...
  13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I doubt anyone could have guessed the changes that have occured, or the ones that will occur.
  14. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    From what I understand Leo was not trying to emulate the sound of the double bass with the mute but trying to subdue the overtones inherent in his design. Also he thought there was too much sustain which is the main reason for the mute which I think was made of some kind of foam.
  15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have seen various books that mention either one as being used for the mute. I suspect that they started on rubber and moved to foam due to the shortages during the Korean Conflict. Everything I have read on the 57 and up says foam. But who really knows. There weren't supposed to P's with block inlays but some rare ones were made in the 60's.

Dan :bassist:
  16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    A very subjective statement.....
  17. Dave or anyone, can you list some of the names that are in the "How the Fender Bass Changed the World" book for me,.

I have ordered this book from amazon.com but would be very happy to do some research on "failed attemps" if someone could help me with names and dates!

I was always under the impression that even Leo himself has a few failed attempt.

Can you help a fellow bassist out? I love to learn!

;) Treena