Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Q5 String height consistancy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gruuv247, Nov 27, 2002.

1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Have a new Q5 and have completed setting it up. The only thing is after I get the height and feel perfect, the next day it's all different and I have to start again.Have the neck set close to straight (with no buzz). What am I doing wrong?:confused:
    What can I do to lock it in.

2. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    What I mean isthe next day the height is almost 1/64 higher (but not consistantly) throughout all strings.:confused:

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When you are talking about 16 thousandths of an inch or less than 1/2 of a millimeter, it is hard to say.

I would say don't measure it, play it!

Chas

4. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Is the intonation changing or just the action height, or both? If intonation is changing, are you locking the saddle adjustment screw down after adjusting. If action is changing, are you sure that the saddle adjustments are even (i.e. string is level across the saddle bar)? Other than that I can only think that perhaps you are set to the absolute minimum action without buzz and the next day you are playing slightly harder. A few times I've adjusted my Q5 after playing for awhile and the next day the action seems to low; making me realize that I haven't properly warmed up and I'm not relaxed and am hitting the strings harder than I was previously. Just a guess.

Peace

5. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Sounds to me like you're setting and measuring string height with Bass laying flat and then, latter, measuring string height with Bass in the play position ie gravity is coming into the equation! That would explain the strings being up to 1/64" higher. It would also explain the difference in height between the individual strings as they each have a different mass. If not already doing so, try adjusting and setting up the strings in the play position...easiest way is to be seated with Bass on your lap.

If that's not the prob then check to see if the relief measurement is changing aswell. The neck could be moving due to different heat environments.

Are you resting the palm of your hand on the bridge as you play? If the saddle screws aren't that tight then they'll move around with your hand movement.

Still on the issue of saddle screws...thread from cleaning cloths can snag on them and throw the settings out.

If none of the above then things are getting a little bit spooky!!!

Cheers. AKA "Rod Trussbroken" in other forums.

6. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    So....how did things turn out?????