Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

qeustion about subs and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Jan 24, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have two mtx 2000 12's.
    one is in a box now. built the way it is supposed to. it is a sealed speaker also. it sounds good!! i like the way it sounds.
    but i want to add two of these to a 410 as a stack.
    400 watts how will this work out sound wise?

and subs good or bad on bass?

steve

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I do belive JORIS has a word in here.....

But i do belive actual subwoofers are just,,, a LOT deeper than the actual speakers used in your bass cab.....not alot of tone,,, just deep... Probably wrong....

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Car audio subs are WAY less efficient than musical instrument speakers, usually by 10db or more. What that means is they won't keep up with your 4x10 at all volume-wise. They probably sound great at lower volume, but get in a room with a drummer and guitarist with a half-stack and you probably won't be able to hear them much, if at all.

They may seem loud inside a car, but the enclosed airspace of the cars interior acts as a cabinet (known as "cabin gain"), which gives a BIG boost to the volume. Put them in a normal size room and they're pretty whimpy.

If you happen to play in a lot of really low-volume situations, you can try it, but I wouldn't put much effort into it.....i.e. wouldn't build new cabs or anything like that, because they probably won't do much for you.