1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QNS: Lakland 55-02 3 Way Coil Tap Toggle.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Miesside, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Miesside

Miesside

Dec 22, 2007
    Hi guys,
    I'm abit new to active preamp as i've been going on with passive basses for quite some time already, so i wanna have a change.
    I'm still abit confused about the 3 way coil tap toggle.
    i wanna know the difference between each of the different positions of the tap toggle, as i've tried searching for reviews, its quite limited. so can any help me out with this?
    cause i'm considering 55-02 skyline for my next purchase.

Cheers.

2. Picture the back pickup (the big one) as two pups in the same case. Move the toggle into the middle position, BOTH coils(pups) are going. Towards the front, the FRONT coil is going, Towards the back, the REAR coil is going. Both coils is kinda big and bassy. Very full range sound "modern sound". The rear coil is very jazz bass-ish sounding, and the front coil gives a hair more girth to the sound over the rear coil, but not as big as the single pup closer to the neck.

hope this helps

3. Miesside

Miesside

Dec 22, 2007
    Thx man,
    when its on middle it is on Dual Coil right?
    and front or back is single coil?

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Yep.

I loved the sound of my 55-02 with the blend in the middle and the switch set to just the bridge coil of the humbucker. I also loved the humbucker all by itself.

Man, I miss the sound of that bass. :(

5. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Me too. I always preferred both coils on, blend slightly towards humbuckers.

6. Miesside

Miesside

Dec 22, 2007
    so it doesn't mean when i toggle to bridge coil, the neck pups is "OFF" right? applies same to the neck coil.
    my bad for such questions. Just really wanna clarify the confusion. :meh:

7. You're right. It doesn't. Coil tapping applies only to the wide "MME" pickup in the bridge position. The pan knob is for balance between the neck J - pickup and whichever bridge coil (s).

Dan explained that the idea came from here:
    http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/prod_dolphin_sn.htm
    See? They call it "Twin-J", it's like 2 separate J pickups, which can also operate as a humbucker (middle position of the switch on your bass).

This might also help understand what all this coil tapping is about:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470219

8. Miesside

Miesside

Dec 22, 2007
    oh okie, i think i understand the configurations already. hehe once you told me about the tap toggle applies to MME pickups, i started to get the picture. Was abit blurred at first hahaha.
    Thanks man , really appreciate it.
    Cheers!

9. good luck! ;)