1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QP's Vs. EMG J set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Russell foulkes, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I have a westfield jazz at home, great little player, but the pickups leave alot to be desired. looking for that lovely grindy clank type sound. So, QP's or EMG J set?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EMG J's, JX's if you want even more clank. QP's are grindy, but they don't have a lot of high end.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Wildly different options!

QPs are loud and grindy, maybe too much so for non-rock styles.

EMG Js are clean and not super loud, good all around and don't hum when you solo one; they're maybe a bit too hi-fi for some folks.

Almost like a monster truck vs a Lexus.

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    JAX's and JVX's are also great choices.

5. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1, the "X" preamp upgrade for EMGs is a winner.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They are if you like it really bright. Me, not so much. I like a little brightness in my tone, but the regular P's and J's have enough for me. Different strokes, I guess.

7. tubehead2

tubehead2

Jan 26, 2013
  8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hmm; i hear it as a more uncompressed, more "natural" tone, as opposed to an EQ change. (the X stuff is supposed to be the same coils as the old-school EMGs, just with an upgraded, higher-headroom preamp.)

maybe the unsquashed sound plus the lack of cable loading from being active translates as too bright for you?

9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    My P/J with original 80's EMG's has more than enough highs for me.