Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassChuck, Mar 2, 2006.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Current set-up: Rickenbacker 4001, Acoustic 370 head, Hartke cab either 2X10 or 1X15.

Problem: This set-up gives a great low punchy standard electric bass guitar sound. It works fine with my R+B band. Most of the sound the audience hears is from the PA, so if I change cabs it won't really make a difference.

But.... if I play my 4001 at home through the stereo speakers, like I do when I'm learning a song, it sounds fantastic. I can hear all kind of nuances in the string and touch and volume and it really speaks well. I would love to have that sound on a gig.

So... do I assume that it is the nature of bass guitar amps to not project that kind of sound? I brought up this question to a sound engineer at a professional studio and his thought was that the EQ on my amp may not be as good as the EQ on my stereo (stereo is bargain basement Sony about 15 years old, my Acoustic 370 was purchased used about 25 years ago) or maybe the elements in the EQ filters on my 370 have degraded over the year (frankly I'm amazed that it still works!).

If.... I spring for the bucks and get something like an Eden or Ashdown or (please make a suggestion if you know one better) do I get my money's worth?

Help me understand this whole thing better.

thanks

2. The good news is... plenty of bass gear will give you or at least approach the sound you are looking for (Epifani, Bergantino, EA, Accugroove, Walter Woods, AI Focus, etc., etc.).

The bad news is.... most of the above gear is expensive.

Your current components are great, but are not known for either a 'hi fi', 'flat', 'refined' or 'accurate' sound (depending on what term you use to describe the sound you are talking about

3. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    What ever you get keep the 370 you will never find another amp like it.

4. Stereo speakers are designed to reproduce the full audible sound spectrum as present in most recorded music. Bass instrument cabs are designed for bass reproduction. Some bass cabs can give more balanced sound and some can reproduce a wider range of frequencies but most are not even close to full range. That is why you hear much more sound information when playing through your home stereo system.