1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Q's on Peavey PV 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sandu, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    After about 4 years on playing whatever combo was available at band practice, I decided it's time to get a nice rig of my own. After some reading, I found a preamp + power amp combination to be the best, most versatile solution. However, it's quite a leap (technologically) from 100-200 W combos made with ease of use, plug'n'play philosophy in mind.

I managed to find a Peavey PV 1200 @ 200 euros (around 320$), and it looks like a pretty good deal. However, the knob-less front is a bit intimidating, so here are the noob questions:

1. How do you adjust the volume?:D I don't see a volume knob anywhere. Do I adjust the volume in the preamp? There's also a stereo/bridge mode switch (according to the specs) that I'm having trouble finding as well.

2. How does the bridge/stereo thing work? Say I have an 8 ohm cab, if I select bridge, will it pump the 900 advertised watts in one of the two outputs, and 270W in each output in bridge mode, with 2 8ohm cabs?

3. How much will this unit color the sound?

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Peavey makes some pretty reliable gear, I've got a CS-800 power amp and on occasion I've used the amp for bass, the sound/color of a CS-800 is a little on the dark side IMHO ...after looking at the owners manual the input controls are on the back ...that amp ( PV-1200 is designed for commercial sound) (like in a movie theater ) ...they put the knobs & such so people can't fiddle with the settings ) here's a link to the owner manual http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80304316.pdf

3. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    Oh man, I didn't even bother to look for the manual once I saw it was discontinued:rollno:. The manual answered my first 2 questions.

Anyone with firsthand experience with this power amp? I haven't found that much here on TB so far.

4. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    If you can try to get an older GPS 1500. The PV won't do 2 ohms I don't think. I can get GPS 1500's for $400 all day here but you may not be able to...

And it sounds like it has controls on the back, but there are amps with no volume controls, they rely solely on the preamp for volume control...

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The gain controls are on the back.

There are 1/4" speaker outputs and binding post outputs. You have to hook up across the two red binding posts in bridge mode.