1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Q's-Pros and Cons of keeping Ibanez (BTB)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, Mar 1, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I don't know whether I'd call myself a "newbie" to bass or an intermediate and developing player. I'd like to think I'm developing, but definitely new to the equipment side of things. I played bass back in the 60's in a rock group with a Teisco Bass that I picked up used for $15 and gave it away about 12 years ago. Recently I wanted a bass to lay down tracks so bought a Squier VM 70's JB. With upgrades and servicing no regrets and I think is a keeper... but totally different from the Ibanez BTB675 that I just picked up, (quite on the spur of the moment).

The BTB is radically different from Fender. 35" scale length. 20" radius and 19mm string spacing. So compared to the Fender it's long, wide and flat. I obviously have to approach it differently with left hand because the fingerboard is very flat. Perhaps it's a blessing because my hand cramps with Fender's "modern C" neck profile as it displaced my thumb uncomfortably. What I'm now noticing is that because the neck is very flat the radius doesn't allow the higher strings to slightly "sweep away", getting out of the way of the bottoms of my fingers. So my hand must remain flatter to operate the fingerboard and relative to my current hand strength/development I can feel more strain on the back of my hand as my play extends.

There is nothing I find objectionable, but as a 4 string with narrower everything the Squier is easier to play, if only because my thumb is more relaxed and with a lot of things can actually wrap around the neck, something that I can't do on the Ibanez. But having had a limited time with the Ibanez I have a few questions as I get more involved playing bass again....

1) Is it more likely for my hand just to become more familar with the flatter radius and wider neck and gain the necessary hand strength and endurance, or is it possible that the additional muscle stress will create a repetitive stress injury?

2) What are the advantages of a bass with such a flat neck? What type of playing does it promote that some folks would prefer this type of build? Are there any cons or negatives to such a flat/wide neck?

Thanks in advance for your advice and putting up with these sophomoric questions.