Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC 1602 and 3 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I have a QSC 1602 and 2 GS112 cabs which are 8ohms each. I am purchasing a 4x10 cabinet (most likely to be 4ohms).

Can I send Channel1 out to the 4x10 (using speakon connector) and Split Channel2 to the 2 different 112 cabs by sending 1 banana plug out to a GS112 and 1 speakon out to a GS112?

Will this result in an impedence of 4ohms for channel2?

Hope this makes sense.

2. yup.

3. Sure. Channel one to the 410 and channel two to the two 112s (dasiey chained) (run one 112 to the other will give you a 4ohm load) As long as your amp is set in stereo or parallel mode you can run seperate or non matching impedences in the channels and control the volumes independently. Make sure you amp is NOT in Bridge mode.

Please read your manual very carefully as the PLX manual is well written and this amp is easy to program to the right settings.

Bob Lee... wil be here shortly to make sure I didn't confuse you. He wrote the Manual.

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Yep, I'm definitely running parallel right now, although I will be switching to stereo when I get the 4x10. Plan is bass through channel1, other stuff through channel2.

I thought that the end result would be that channel2 is running at a 4ohm impedence as well.

Thanks

5. Pho
    Stereo and Parallel are pretty close to the same. You don't actually have to change it. Look closely at your manual and see the signal chain diagram. In Paralled the individual signal from your bass is routed through the "main" channel #1 and sent (or split) to channel #2. Stereo works similar to this as both Gain/Volume knobs on the amp control the individual Gain/Vol. It's very important to understand the functionality of this type of amp as it has many uses other than Bass amplification. Make sure you understand the dip switches and signal chain before proceeding. There is another string on this subject right close here about the dip switch setting and all you should check it out if you have not. I don't have the manual in front of me any more so I can't refer exactly. I believe running you're new set in Parallel with all three of your cabs will be the best and safest. Always make sure your cables and connectors are wired correctly and don't assume because they are new they are perfect. I just had a very expensive Monster cable that the solder joint cracked and that could cause bad things to happen. Not trying to scare you but it's confusing until your confident you understand your equipment. I will say when I owned my PLX it was very well laid out and easy to understand with nice positive latching switches and etc. If you are unsure contact Bob Lee who is an expert on this amp and also wrote the manual.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What Big String wrote is correct.

PhoBucket, if you have one signal coming out of your preamp and you want it to drive both amp channels, put the amp inputs in parallel (switches 4, 5, and 6 on the back. That ties the two inputs together, just like using a Y cable. Then plug the cable from the pre into channel 1's input (or channel 2's; when they are paralleled it doesn't matter).

The amp is fine with having a 4-ohm load on one channel and an 8-ohm one on the other (most amps are).

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    all true,
    and yup, having the 2 8 ohm aggies on channel two will result in a 4 ohm load.

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Thank you everyone for your help.

I have been looking at my manual and I'm actually going to end up running in stereo instead of parallel because I will have two different signals going into the power amp.

Channel1 will have normal bass sounds which will be sent to the 410, and channel2 will have midi/effects/other sounds which will be sent to the 112s.

Thanks,
    Ben