Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I know they have a number of different models and lines. I an specifically wondering about the PLX line (3002 in particalar). Anyone familiar with them? Low, mid or more upper end of the QSC line. Looks like a relatively light and very powerful amp. Tanks in advance.

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The PLX series is one of the higher end lines. Higher than the RMX series but lower than a few other "ridiculously expensive" series.
    I think it's the consensus that the PLX are the best QSC amps for bass around here. They combine high power with relatively low weight. 21lbs IIRC, regardless of where you are in the PLX line-up. The spec sheets should show that the 3002 is the second to highest PLX in terms of wattage and features. The 3402 has the highest wattage. The 2402 is below the 3002, the 1602 below the 2402 and there is the 1202. I have a 1602 and it's rad.

-P to the O to the O to the N

3. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    +1. I had an rmx, and moved into a PLX once I realized my rack should be used in the World Strongman contests... Both amps are great for the money.

That and I love dipswitches :)

Troll

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'd call the PLX the low-mid of the QSC line. The RMX is the loss leader (and AFAIK the only QSC amp not made in the USA). The PowerLight series is the top end of their PA amp series. The PLX offers most of the same technology in a much more affordable package. The PowerLight 2 is a more sophisticated variant of the PLX and sits between the PLX and the PowerLight series. (I'm sure Bob Lee will correct me if this is wrong.)

I also have both a PLX and an RMX, and I love them both... but the PLX gets my vote for being half the weight.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have an RMX which I like a lot but it's pretty heavy. The minute the RMX gets to be a pain to carry I'll get a PLX for weight reasons alone. I would expect very similar sound performance.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    BNW has a used 3002.
    Great power amps.

7. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Not any more. :)

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I had a feeling you were on to that one. Great buy. Enjoy!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. PLX is the upper mid of the QSC line. I can't think of anything that falls between PLX and QSC's high-end PowerLite Series. The old MX amps are a notch below PLX (but are major workhorses in their own right), and RMX falls below that.

10. The MX series were the top of the line QSCs for 20 years or more. I've probably seen more of them than any other amps in big touring rigs. Of course, the MX line is now defunct so I guess it can't be top of the line any more.............

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I've got an old MX1500a that just does anything I ask of it. Hell, one night it even ran down to Roberto's and got me a machaca burrito. Match that. It's a heavy mowfk though.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Love my QSC plx 2402. Nice and light, no issues as of yet. I bridge it and run it with a Demeter pre through an Epifani 2x12

Rob

13. I've got an old USA 900. These have been out of production for around seven years now. I got mine used so I don't know how old it is but you can tell it's been around the block (broken knob, scratches everywhere).

I would just like to say this old beast still performs flawlessly. If the newer lines are built as well as the USA line you will grow old together.

Just one thing, mine is as heavy as a ship anchor but I feel like it is worth it (I'm not rich). The weight gives me the impression that it is solid although that is probably BS.

14. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The PL2 series is between these two lines.

15. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Actually, the PL2 is now includes all the "less than 3 space" amps in the powerlight line. They did away with everything but the 3.4, (maybe 3.8, dunno) 4.0, and 6.0-II. This was a year or two ago now. The PL2 line has a different switcher in the PSU than does the PLX, as well as the computer control stuff. The cost difference between similar PLX and PL2 models is not all that great, really. My PA rig is all PL236 on the mids/highs. My A rig mons are all PL236 on the paper, and CX404 on the HF, and my B rig 4mix rack is PLX3002 on the paper, and Stewart PA1200 on the HF. I am a qsc dealer, can you tell??