Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

qsc amps and preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grinx, Mar 28, 2003.

1. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    been looking at qsc products. it looks like they have a variety of inputs, but only speakon outputs.

am i missing something? how would you hook a preamp up to a qsc power amp (thru the 1/4" inputs), and what if you don't have speakons on your cabs?

surely i must have had a brain fart.

thanks

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    QSC amps in the US also have binding post outputs.

1/4" plugs were never meant to carry the kind of power that modern large power amps can deliver. Speakon connectors are cheap and simple to hook up - just modify one end of your 1/4" speaker cable.

3. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    would you be able to provide a link?

do i have to have someone replace the 1/4" inputs on the cabs, with speakon connectors? or is it an adapter? thanks info

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You can buy the Speakon to phono adapter at most music stores.

5. I just made two Speakon to 1/4" cables.

As far as the preamp connection, real short 1/4" cables, from the preamp to the 1/4" inputs on the QSC.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Timely concern.......I just got my QSC this week and the huge 1/4" cables I have don't work with it.

I had to take the cables to a local music store and have Speakons put on one end of each speaker cable. The whole job, including parts, was about $25.
    Was I P.O.'d???.......sure. But as the guy at the music store said, "Now you're getting into high-end sound."

And yeah, my Aguilar preamp + QSC sounds so very, very, nice!

7. IMO, the Speakon are the only way to fly.

They are robust and field repairable. I run entirely with the 4-conductor type that I buy from Speakerhole.Com. These are 12 gauge wire and perfect for bi-amping. Pair #1 is for the Lows and Pair #2 is for the highs. My cabs are wired internally to use the correct pair, plus each cab has a 2nd Speakon jack in parallel to allow for daisy chaining the cabs.

I own two PLX 3002 and one PLX 1202. Great amps and none have ever failed. We play all summer long in the Sacramento heat (100+ degrees) and the amps run fine. The Lows channel of my PLX 3002 flirts constantly with the clipping LED, but it has never failed.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Can anyone tell me if the fan is noisy on the QSC's? I was looking at the Stewarts but the fan is unbelievably noisy and so I'm curious about the QSC poweramps.