Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC amps bieng blown out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Feb 22, 2006.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    With the new generation of QSC PLX amps on the market, it seems the retailers are pushing the old ones out the door. M.F. has them on sale. I dont know if these prices are the best, but they look decent to me. Just thought I would post this incase anyone was looking for a new lightweight amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+701149&src=3TP6BL

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thier "blowout" is still more than I paid lord valve.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I'd buy from Lord Valve over MF any day of the week. Great guy, and he can do the input gain mod without voiding the warranty.

4. Does Lord Valve have a website?

5. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    What is the input gain mod thing?

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I got mine cheaper than MF blowout prices from Lord Valve also.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The input sensitivity (the input voltage required to drive the amp to full output) can be adjusted by changing a pair of resistors on each channel.

I have a Pearce BC-1 preamp that has low output (relative to the present +3dBU standard). When I bought my PLX2402, I ordered it with custom input sensitivity. The fellow that I bought it from got it straight from QSC the way I wanted it saying that pro sound companies do it all the time and there was no extra charge direct from QSC.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lord Valve is NBS Electronics in Denver. A google search should show his site. I've used him for buying tubes before. He's a bit of a character, but an extremely knowledable and helpful guy, and his prices are awesome.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    When you run across a site that says "Call for Pricing" sometimes it worth calling for the price. They can give a better price than what a store can advertise on the Web or catalog as a price.

10. Yes. I wouldn't own another one.

--Oh, I thought this was a thread about QSC amps BLOWING OUT. Sorry. As you were, and good luck.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A bit of a character is an understatement...but I agree with everything that you wrote. Lord Valve also goes by the name of "Fat Willie" and NBS stands for No BS... While on business in Denver a couple years ago, I made a point of stopping in at the store. He was very helpful and entertaining and had a bench top full of old SVTs burning in...

12. I just bought the last PLX 1602 from Lord Valve's inventory, and his price killed everyone else by a long shot. Plus, he's quite entertaining to talk to. Quite refreshing compared to a call to some kid at a megastore who doesn't seem very happy to be at work...

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Indeed. ALWAYS call Northern Sound and Light for amp prices. (Although I guess QSC is not going to sell the new PLX2 stuff to them.)