QSC and Eden question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norre, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium

A friend of mine, who is also a bassplayer, recently bought a new amp. His rig is now a QSC PLX 3402 (2 x 700W @ 8 ohm), a Line 6 Bass POD Pro and an Eden 4x10 XLT (700 W, 8 ohm).
    When he tested it at rehearsal with his band, he told me that he was a little disappointed. He said he didn't have the "power" that he expected.
    He's using only one channel of the QSC (he's not using it in bridged mode). When he turns the volume of his QSC all the way up, there's light coming from his Eden cab ! I'm not familiar with Eden cabs, but he told me that it is some kind of built-in protection. When he turns the volume of the QSC down, the cab works fine, but he's not satisfied with his volume. How can it be that he doesn't have enough power? It's one of the most powerfull amps on the market. Could it be that he's doin' something wrong? Anyone have any experience with this? Any comments are welcome!
    Thanks in advance,

2. Try it bridged but be carefull!!! He can't just turn it up! He'll blow **** up! I think that amp at 8 ohms bridged puts out 2000 W. so that is a ton of headroom. I think that should do it.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That light he is seeing is a small bulb which helps absorb power to avoid blowing the tweeter. Its normal.

I usually run 1400 watts bridged into my 700W rated 4x10, and it sings. You need to be careful, though. Bridging will give him more headroom and punch, but if he overdoes it, he will crease the speakers or perhaps blow them. I'd recommend bridging it, and keeping the power amp attenuator at less than half.
  4. Well, its "normal" that the protection is working, but the cab should not be run that way. He's pumping too much juice into it.
  5. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    As Eric said, that light is the tweeter protection. Your friend could try turning down the tweeter attenuator on the back of the cab (I usually run mine at 12:00) and/or turn down the treble on his preamp.
  6. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info guys.
    There's one thing that I don't understand ...
    If he's already pumping too much juice in the cab, why bother bridging the power amp to get even more juice ?
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nonsense. 700 watts into a 700 watt cab, hardly can say he's "pumping too much juice into it. He could easily double the rated watts and not have any problems so long as he avoids clipping.

There are tons here on this forum who routinely run double the cab's rated power, with excellent results.
  8. Yea, thats true, I read some different wattage rating somewhere - probably thought it was bridged and he had it cranked all the way up.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm gonna go against the grain of this thread a bit. If the protection light is comming on, it means one of 2 things. He's either got the tweeter turned up too high and should cut it at the attenuator.

Or, as mentoned earlier, he's asking too much from a single cab. Sounds like he plays in a loudish band and would be better off using a second cabinet. I don't ever turn up for a gig with only one cabinet. I'd rather bring 2 and not push em as hard.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with Pete 1,000 percent on this. If the protection lamp is coming on often, he's giving it too much power. It's plain to see that one 410 is not going to give him enough volume, and he needs more speakers. If he bridges the amp and turns it up further than he already does, I will guarantee you that he's going to be needing a re-cone or two, soon. I'm so sorry for those who think that it's OK to send twice the rated power to a speaker. While having 1,400 watts at your disposal for headroom is fine, the cabinet can only take that kind of power as a transient (unless it's a square wave). Run it at 1,400 watts program, and ...

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I used to run 1000 watts into my Eden when it was my main cab....sounded great! But for loud gigs I always used two cabs, I do the same thing with my Bergentinos......you can only expect so much from one cabinet when it comes to moving air.
  12. Pete is right on the money here. If the protection light is coming on then it's being pushed to the edge. (at least in the high frequency range) Better get some more speakers to spread out the power and sound.