Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC & Ashdown Compact 210 & 115 ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Feb 18, 2005.

1. In my never ending decision for a rig I'd like to get (hopefully) some final analysis on these 2 cabinets with a QSC RMX1450.

I tried the Ashdown 410T cabinet with my QSC bridged & I liked the sound (a lot) but I forget that I'm not that young anymore and at about 90 pounds that cab is too heavy to gig with 2 times a week. :(

So my question is since Ashdown makes only 8 ohm 210 & 115 cabinets. Would my RMX1450 be too much power (1400 watts bridged @ 4 ohms) to run an ABM210 (400 watts) & ABM115 (300 watts). OR, should I consider a more powerful amp to run at 8 ohms per side since the QSC puts out 280 watts at 8 ohms per side.

Feel free to enlighten me with ANY other suggestions you may have & thanks for your input.

2. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    One thing to remember about amp power is it can be decieving, generally you are going to want to run 1.5 to 2 times the amount of power your cabs are rated at.

It is always better (within reason, no running 10,000 watts into a 6" driver) to have too much power than not enough, clean power will very rarely hurt speakers but distortion from poweramp clipping can very quickly destroy your rig.

I have been bridging a QSC RMX2450 (2600 watts) into my Ampeg 8x10 (800 rms, 1600 peak) for almost 3 years without so much as a hiccup from either one.

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I agree with the Ashdown comments. I, too, have a 410 and I really like its tone. I like it so much so that I ordered an Ashdown 115 this week (it arrived this morning! :D ).

I have been using a QSC RMX850 bridged mono into the 410 and it worked just fine. (I think that is something like 600 watts @ 8 ohms.) I will be trying to spilt things in stereo this weekend and I will let you know how it turns out. That would only leave 200 watts for each cab so we will see ... :(

If all goes well, then I am set. No more GASsing for awhile. If not, we might need more power, Batman! Then it is off to the store. I will be curious to see how things work out for you.

End of ramble ... :rolleyes: